New to the area

louisianahunter21

Oct 24, 2015
So guys I'm from Louisiana and I've been hunting ever since I was 9 years old. I am in the military and ended up getting stationed here. I really miss the sport and was wondering if they're might be anyone out there that could show me the area and how to hunt southern California. Even if it's a possibility for me to just tag along and video I will even do that. I just want to get back in the outdoors and enjoy it but I have no clue where to even start out here. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this. Hope to hear some news soon.

my suggestion.....RUUUUNNNNN. So cal hunting SUCKS!!!! really it does. but there is still a lot of hunt-able land with some good game. What do you hunt? what do you want to hunt? Where are you living? how far do you want to drive for a hunt? big game? small game? rifle? shotgun? Bow? if there is one site that really has great guys willing to help out one other especially fellow worriors this is it.

Haha well i'm kinda stuck here another 3 years before i can get away. i grew up hunting pretty much anything from squirrels and rabbits to whitetail and hogs. i'm willing to drive 3-4 hours from pendleton maybe more dependent on the situation. currently don't have any firearms out here but can easily get one. just looking for areas that I can just get out and enjoy hunting.

LH21,

Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service.......If you're thinking birds, think Imperial Valley.......If you're thinking big game, you've pretty much missed the boat here in D-16.....If you're thinking varmints, lots of guys on here like doing that.....Since you're in SD Co. you're looking at about 2 1/2 hours to the IV.....1 to 1 1/2 hours here locally......Lots of past threads in whatever you decide......Ask lots of questions and they'll be plenty of guys out there willing to help you.

Steve

U can still get an ao tag if u like to archery hunt. Laguna mountain is all archery. The season for ao still has a month left so if u get on it quick u can still get some hunting in. If u want to go take a look i can show u around up there. I have a spare stand set up there u can use. I will be rifle hunting anyways so if ur interested u can call me at 6194577631. I have a couple decent bucks on camera at that spot so u may get an oppurtunity.

Welcome to the SCH forum louisianahunter21. And thank you for serving!

You came to the right website. There is a tremendous amount of information here and the folks are cool.

Start at the Game Warden office on Pendleton. AO tags are good for the base. I've seen a ton of rabbits this year. 2nd dove season is around the corner and the base is littered with them. The quail are abundant this year too on Pendleton.

Welcome to SCH!

Welcome and thank-you. It is true about the people on here, they are great. There are a lot of guys on base who hunt and some on this forum, at least one I know of anyhow. Actually you are really lucky to hunt on base, supposedly there is great hunting there. If you go for birds you might want a dog if they are allowed, my buddy told me there is a lot of brush and it takes a while to find downed birds. If you are in to ducks they just started and there are the best guys on here that will help you, i.e. Steve, StickBrandon, and others. Many will probably go with including myself. Start with getting your license and at the cdfw website, and just ask if you have any questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Bowhunter is right..If your stationed on Pendalton go to the Game Wardens office on base and ask about restritions and where to hunt. The hunting there is good with limited pressure. there are lots of restrictions and they change weekly due to training work ups and range usage.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu