New to Turkey

JWilliams

Nov 15, 2016
Looking to go out this Friday Morning for Turkey hunting.

I’ve been out last year but didn’t see any. I’m posting to see if I could find anyone who would be willing to go out with me and teach me some tricks or gain knowledge from.

Even if someone was willing to call and pass some advice on how to hunt them or set up or different parts of day to look for or terrain.

I’ve got 3-4 spots I’ve seen turkeys before while deer hunting I would love to share with someone who could pass on whether they feel those areas would be worth and shot or not.

Either way, appreciate the read.

What area are you in? Most guys here are down in D16 area, but we have some scattered through the LA/OC areas as well

I saw your other thread and some great info from the d16 guys. Im up near LA so I wont be down there this weekend, but wish you luck. That previous thread had some good info regarding how to hunt them as well as the type of landscape to look for. Turkeys gotta drink, turkeys gotta eat, so water and food source will be crucial. Someone over there also mentioned how to identify roost trees, which if you can find and set up in the meadow near them, will increase chance of success.

One thing I picked up from a MeatEater episode on turkey hunting was "When you think its time to move, dont." Patience is key and moving will get you seen since those birds can see much better than we can. Doug Duran showcased this actually in a recent IG post showing where and what time everyone moved from their spot, and toms going by those spots not too long after.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Ya I went back and re read a lot of that post.

Hopefully someone is willing to maybe go out with me but I’ll see! I’ll go out either way.

Patience...............I could only hunt until 10am roughly yesterday. Set up about 200 yards from a roost. From what I saw fly down the roost had 5 toms, a few jakes and 2 hens that flew down. Birds went the opposite direction after milling around in their fly down area for a while.

After not hearing a gobble from 9-10 am I packed up at 10. When I drove out there were 3 toms headed towards where I was set up. Silent bastards. If they would've gobbled I would've pushed it a little longer.

But yest patience kills turkeys.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Patience...............I could only hunt until 10am roughly yesterday. Set up about 200 yards from a roost. From what I saw fly down the roost had 5 toms, a few jakes and 2 hens that flew down. Birds went the opposite direction after milling around in their fly down area for a while.

After not hearing a gobble from 9-10 am I packed up at 10. When I drove out there were 3 toms headed towards where I was set up. Silent bastards. If they would've gobbled I would've pushed it a little longer.

But yest patience kills turkeys.

Mentored a couple of hunters yesterday (MCC winner)...This scenario played out exactly...After missing out on a beautiful "Long" early in the morning (saw decoys and turned away at 20 yds) and then flat missing a bird in the afternoon...The winner of the hunt wanted to leave...It was 4:05...We get back to the trucks, look back, and right where we were, were 5 toms walking by... :eek:

This is the big guy that we had the missed opportunity...As you can see, he never really gave him a shot (he was set-up below & to the left of that dead fall)...Of course, I was calling from behind and had a perfect shot... :joy:

.IMG_5277.JPGIMG_5281.JPGIMG_5283.JPG

Reactions: 180ls1
I am curious, why don't you go out by yourself?
I believe he said he would go alone, but was looking for more of a mentor type outing. He had a few spots that he felt were good and was hoping to trade that information for information on other aspects of the hunt

I believe he said he would go alone, but was looking for more of a mentor type outing. He had a few spots that he felt were good and was hoping to trade that information for information on other aspects of the hunt
Ah, got it.

I go out by myself all the time...Heading for Utah Thursday................................ :joy:
Nice! Thats when I am heading to Colorado. I'll be hunting with a couple of knuckleheads though.

Solo is good. Akin to a spiritual exerience in my book and one of the few if only times I can just sit with my thoughts.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu