New to Waterfowl SoCal

benelli12

May 25, 2016
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum here. My name is Troy and I moved to San Diego recently from Idaho. Talk about a culture change! I am new to all things hunting. I've always been into shooting, but for some reason never quite got into hunting. But now I am all in. I started Turkey hunting this season, but no luck. Waterfowl is what I have been most interested in. I can't wait to go on my first waterfowl hunt. If only the season wasn't so far away! Anyways, I am an avid planner and am wondering what all I need to start Waterfowl hunting. I have been reading all the forums but I have some additional questions:

1. What additional license/tags will I need. I have a hunting license with an upland tag currently.

2. I see that most people on this site sign up for raffles for blinds. When do I need to start submitting for those lottery bids?

3. I saw that a member here put on a waterfowl clinic last year. Any chance of any other clinics this year?

Thanks guys/gals!

Tony,

Welcome to SCH.....Just your handle makes me like you (I love Benelli's)...... 8)

Question 1.....You will need a California State Validation duck stamp (not really a stamp anymore) and a federal duck stamp to hunt waterfowl.

Question 2.....We put in for the lotteries mostly for Wister W.A. and San Jacinto W.A.....You normally submit those near the end of September.....Our duck opener is Oct. 22nd.....You will get notification approximately 10 days before the hunt date you applied for.

Question 3.....I had the clinic at my home last year.....If there's enough interest, I will do it again in August.

Lots to learn and know to be able to hunt waterfowl here in SoCal (& California in general).....Ask lots of questions.....Don't want you to find out the hard way about the many rules we have....ESPECIALLY AT OUR WILDLIFE AREAS!...... ;)

ps......Read our pinned waterfowl threads......Wealth of knowledge in there...... 8)

ilovesprig thanks for the great info! Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the lottery. So you can hunt other places such as lake Henshaw without a lottery bid?

That's great that you put a clinic on at your home. It's great to see people invest their time to educate others. I have been studying hard on the laws here. Firearm laws between Idaho and California are night and day! I will continue read the threads. Thanks!

welcome to the site and get ready to shoot a lot of this

Tony,

Pay no mind to this guy...^....He shoots a Beretta...... ;D

ps......Those are some fine spoons (Northern Shovelers)..... ;)

benelli12 said:
ilovesprig thanks for the great info! Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss the lottery. So you can hunt other places such as lake Henshaw without a lottery bid?

That's great that you put a clinic on at your home. It's great to see people invest their time to educate others. I have been studying hard on the laws here. Firearm laws between Idaho and California are night and day! I will continue read the threads. Thanks!

Yes, you can hunt Henshaw without getting into the state draws (although, Henshaw does have their own draw).....You can also hunt places like the Barrett Lake, Salton Sea, Colorado River, ponds, and other areas thru-out San Diego, Riverside, and Imperial counties.....There's also duck clubs you can join.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu