New upland hunter and pup

When I was training my GSP we could NOT use California quail for training. We either used bobwhite quail or pigeons. Pigeons when training dog for steady to point, flush and wing. The bobwhite were used at trials for shooting and retieving. The pigeons were put in quick release traps. When the dog went on point, the pigeon would be released and the dog made to be steady to wing when the bird was released. It would progress to steady to shot after that was mastered. You will need a 20 or 30' check cord/leash for that type of training.

Ive got a local source for quail although I’m not sure which species exactly. Were CA quail too hard to keep alive? Ive heard chukar is the most hardy bird to raise for training. Ive got a check cord and plan for it to get some use.

My plan for Friday morning training - pickup a few quail Wednesday and I’ll keep them in a large dog crate with water, bedding and some food.

Reactions: DanSanDiego
Ive got a local source for quail although I’m not sure which species exactly. Were CA quail too hard to keep alive? Ive heard chukar is the most hardy bird to raise for training. Ive got a check cord and plan for it to get some use.

My plan for Friday morning training - pickup a few quail Wednesday and I’ll keep them in a large dog crate with water, bedding and some food.
Not legal to use Cal. quail for training. Look for bobwhite if u want quail. I believe Chukar are okay to use. If you are interested in quick release trap, not sure that is the proper name. Netting lays flat then you place bird onto netting and fold up the side until they lock in place. They are released either by cord attached to trap or by remote control. Once the dog picks up their scent you will use check cord to keep him from going to trap until you are satisfied with his performance then spring trap and release bird. To use birds many time we would tie a light cord to their leg and secure it to the trap, maybe 25' long. Like I said before we used pigeons for that purpose. for actual training we would use bobwhite and hopefully shoot them so the dog could retrieve them.

Not legal to use Cal. quail for training. Look for bobwhite if u want quail. I believe Chukar are okay to use. If you are interested in quick release trap, not sure that is the proper name. Netting lays flat then you place bird onto netting and fold up the side until they lock in place. They are released either by cord attached to trap or by remote control. Once the dog picks up their scent you will use check cord to keep him from going to trap until you are satisfied with his performance then spring trap and release bird. To use birds many time we would tie a light cord to their leg and secure it to the trap, maybe 25' long. Like I said before we used pigeons for that purpose. for actual training we would use bobwhite and hopefully shoot them so the dog could retrieve them.

Roger on the ca quail. I believe these look like Bob whites. My goal is to sleep the bird and check cord the dog in like you mentioned. I’ve got a tilt release which is basically the poor mans version of a spring trap. The bird won’t be released until I step on the trap. I might get some fishing braided line and tie one or two off to the trap or branch to get my dogs drive ramped up. She’s not really gun shy but I need to keep working with her so she gets the most of it. I don’t expect her to be a high drive gunner. But it’ll be way more fun for me if she gets some enjoyment out it. The biggest worry I have is that I’ll be trying to juggle my deer tags and spend time working with the dog :joy:

p

P.m. me I'll tell how ro use quail. p.s. you will not be using local species if you follow the law

I’ve seen dog training where they have the pigeons in a large plastic dog crate. Seems like that’s a good method to hold the birds for a day and then transport to the field.

Reactions: CLarson757
You'll need a small cage just big enough for 2-4 birds. make it easy to catch them.

Pretty much what my plan is. Just a small dog carrier to hold a few birds till I get to the field. I’m going to get a small hutch and get to a point where I can keep 4-6 birds at my house.

Always work down wind so scent come to dog.
Just did some work around the house using the wind. She did awesome. Played fetch with some dead birds I have frozen. Then hid a few around the bushes and buildings while she was in sit/ stay for her to find and she did awesome. She didn’t bring to hand but dropped at my feet. Did this for about 20 mins. Even writing this now she’s pacing around the house inside and out looking for birds.

When you go out for actual training, always end on a positive note. Good point or retrieve. Lots of positive reenforcement. I have found male dogs are more apt to hunt for you, where females hunt for themselves. Males just want to please you. I have had three females and everyone of them would retrieve bird, then drop it a my feet and go back to hunting. Males bring it to my hand and look for praise., then off to hunt again. They call females bitches for a reason.

F
When you go out for actual training, always end on a positive note. Good point or retrieve. Lots of positive reenforcement. I have found male dogs are more apt to hunt for you, where females hunt for themselves. Males just want to please you. I have had three females and everyone of them would retrieve bird, then drop it a my feet and go back to hunting. Males bring it to my hand and look for praise., then off to hunt again. They call females bitches for a reason.
Force fetch reaining will cure that problem

F

Force fetch reaining will cure that problem

Haha makes sense! She’s curious about the birds and probably 1 out of 10 retrieves she will stop and drop the bird half way back to me. I’ll correct her and send her back and she knows she won’t get rewarded coming back empty handed.

I need to bridge the gap from flush & shot to downed bird for the retrieval. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few birds and make the connection for her.

Haha makes sense! She’s curious about the birds and probably 1 out of 10 retrieves she will stop and drop the bird half way back to me. I’ll correct her and send her back and she knows she won’t get rewarded coming back empty handed.

I need to bridge the gap from flush & shot to downed bird for the retrieval. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few birds and make the connection for her.
Simple stuff, I can show you how

When I was training my GSP we could NOT use California quail for training. We either used bobwhite quail or pigeons. Pigeons when training dog for steady to point, flush and wing. The bobwhite were used at trials for shooting and retieving. The pigeons were put in quick release traps. When the dog went on point, the pigeon would be released and the dog made to be steady to wing when the bird was released. It would progress to steady to shot after that was mastered. You will need a 20 or 30' check cord/leash for that type of training.
Any chance you know where I could get ahold of a few pigeons?

Just did some work around the house using the wind. She did awesome. Played fetch with some dead birds I have frozen. Then hid a few around the bushes and buildings while she was in sit/ stay for her to find and she did awesome. She didn’t bring to hand but dropped at my feet. Did this for about 20 mins. Even writing this now she’s pacing around the house inside and out looking for birds.
My dog was dropping birds and bumpers at my feet, a couple of weeks of hold conditioning and force fetching fixed the problem.

Last year I went to buy pigeons and was told there was a statewide ban on selling pigeons. As far as dog training, I can not more highly recommend Web Parton's "Bond of Passion". He really knows what he is talking about. Also does snake proofing but you have to go to Arizona for it; he doesn't come out here anymore.

Last year I went to buy pigeons and was told there was a statewide ban on selling pigeons. As far as dog training, I can not more highly recommend Web Parton's "Bond of Passion". He really knows what he is talking about. Also does snake proofing but you have to go to Arizona for it; he doesn't come out here anymore.
Thanks for the info, shame Web Parton doesn't have any training scheduled in the foreseeable future.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu