New Years Pismo Clams

thats rad! i grew up clamming down in mexico.

Great catch. Brings back childhood memories of Dad and I getting them at Huntington Beach. I didn’t know there were any left in so cal.

Those clams look great! Nothing like fresh clams for the chowder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last time I went clamming was at Washington state. Took my daughter and her friend.
They were like 10 years old.
25 years ago. We managed a bucket full.
Family friend made chowder. It was delicious.

Have some friends that grew up on the coast like me who still do it. We like to bring them out let them purge and season,split and roast them on the bbq with seasoning's. My dad used take me to Bird rock in La Jolla in the early sixties and have me tip rocks with a pry bar and a screwdriver for Abs. We use to invade bird rock at low tide and bring home a half dozen big ab's( all we could eat then and left plenty) and pound them out and eat them in the coming evening. After that we would take a hay fork and dig Pismo's where we used to vacation as we as traveled to central Cal to dig Pismo's at Pismo beach. California used to be such a bounty....

Nice Brad.. I'll join ya at Coronado one of these days.. can't get into the Strand since my pass expired (I refuse to buy a new one since they raised the annual pass to $200!). My gramps used to show me cool pics of clammin' the Strand and hooking up big YTs and BFT off the IB Pier in the early 60s.. 10' rods hanging out the trunk of his '59 Impala lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Nice Brad.. I'll join ya at Coronado one of these days.. can't get into the Strand since my pass expired (I refuse to buy a new one since they raised the annual pass to $200!). My gramps used to show me cool pics of clammin' the Strand and hooking up big YTs and BFT off the IB Pier in the early 60s.. 10' rods hanging out the trunk of his '59 Impala lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
When i was young we use to fish the barges at long beach. Seemed
To be a lot big fish then.

Have some friends that grew up on the coast like me who still do it. We like to bring them out let them purge and season,split and roast them on the bbq with seasoning's. My dad used take me to Bird rock in La Jolla in the early sixties and have me tip rocks with a pry bar and a screwdriver for Abs. We use to invade bird rock at low tide and bring home a half dozen big ab's( all we could eat then and left plenty) and pound them out and eat them in the coming evening. After that we would take a hay fork and dig Pismo's where we used to vacation as we as traveled to central Cal to dig Pismo's at Pismo beach. California used to be such a bounty....
Good times, yes I remember those days. Use to be abundant sea life.
Abalone was every where.

Yeah, I remember all the abs down in PV. Wish they would find a cure for that disease. Brad did you have to go out to waist deep? Last time I was there (grew up there) we had to walk all the way out.

Waist deep with a wetsuit on. Get beat by the waves a bit, but at low tide, that's where they are.

Hear everyone on the abalone...back in the 80s them and lobsters were a dime a dozen with a set of tanks.

Not sure anymore? I'm too old to lug the tanks and go through all the rigmarole to dive the kelp beds anymore.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Don't remember exactly the distance.
But heading 180 out point Loma in my little boat. I would get out of the brown water into clear blue water 1-2 miles off shore.

This brings back memories.

We used to go down to Baja for clams and camp on the beach.

Bbq the clams on hot rocks next to the fire. Best clams ever!

Reactions: longbowhunter2

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu