Newbie Aboard

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Hey guys. New to the site but not to the hunting world. Local SoCal guy from east San Diego just looking for time to get out into the field. Found the site by chance and liked it enough to join the clan.

I pretty much hunt all that the local fauna has to offer. I've spent a lot of time upstate and killed some bears, deer, pigs, bobcats, yotes...pretty much every over the counter tag you can get. Deer hunting in San Diego has some definite and different challenges than the sierras but I still love it.

I bow hunt and rifle hunt so chances are you'll see me out somewhere during the season. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. I'll be around here often because this is my kind of site. If I find anything interesting, I'll be sure to post up some links.

Be safe and happy hunting.

Welcome to the site Rebel. Every guy on here is a no BS killer. You'll fit right in. Post up a few old pic's for us in the off season.

Best story I have is from the last bear I killed. I was deer hunting above Bass lake and happened upon a big, jet black, boar at 30 yards. First shot was a perfect double lunger with the 30-06 and 180 grain bullet. Clean pass through with the copper round and he took off towards the thick brush downhill. I didn't want to chase a pissed off, dying bear in thick brush so my follow-up shot was through the neck. He rolled, growled and snarled and charged me and my buddy and his 10 year old son. I didn't have a clear shot so my buddy hit him with his 270 at 8 yards in the top of the neck. He rolled again and tore off into the bushes. We waited about 45 minutes and I started in after him.

I knew as soon as I saw the blood trail he couldn't have gone far because it was about 8 inches wide and nearly 20 yards long from what I could see. Took about two minutes to cautiously walk the blood trail and there he was. 450 lbs laying in a depression in the ground. We all high fived and checked our shorts and then started the drag.

I've got pictures but I'll have to post later so check back.

welcome to the site... great story by the way..... can't wait to see those pictures.

Here are the pics. The big black one is the one in the story. The other one is from a little further back and is the very first big game animal I ever shot.

Attachments

• Reid's 2008 Bear (1).jpg
    Reid's 2008 Bear (1).jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Reid's 2008 Bear.jpg
    Reid's 2008 Bear.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Reid's Bear 001.jpg
    Reid's Bear 001.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Reid's Bear 010.jpg
    Reid's Bear 010.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 90
Great stuff and fresh blood on the site.....1st bear kills I've seen on here, awesome!

SoCalRebelHunter said:
Hey guys. New to the site but not to the hunting world. Local SoCal guy from east San Diego just looking for time to get out into the field. Found the site by chance and liked it enough to join the clan.

I pretty much hunt all that the local fauna has to offer. I've spent a lot of time upstate and killed some bears, deer, pigs, bobcats, yotes...pretty much every over the counter tag you can get. Deer hunting in San Diego has some definite and different challenges than the sierras but I still love it.

I bow hunt and rifle hunt so chances are you'll see me out somewhere during the season. Thanks for listening to me ramble on. I'll be around here often because this is my kind of site. I've got my own hunting/outdoors show in the works so when my site and shows finally go up, I'll be sure to post some links here.

Be safe and happy hunting.

You can stay, but you need to be cautious about using non-mainstream words that might be over our heads, and above our vocabulary level.

Fauna: Fauna or faunæ is all of the animal life of any particular region or time. The corresponding term for plants is flora.

Zoologists and paleontologists use fauna to refer to a typical collection of animals found in a specific time or place, e.g. the "Sonoran Desert fauna" or the "Burgess shale fauna". It also can refer to a given subset of the fauna of a given region, as in: "... the Amazon basin has a rich ant fauna...".

Glad to have you on the forum SoCalRebelHunter! Keep the posts coming, we all enjoy reading hunting fodder!

[/quote]
You can stay, but you need to be cautious about using non-mainstream words that might be over our heads, and above our vocabulary level.

Fauna: Fauna or faunæ is all of the animal life of any particular region or time. The corresponding term for plants is flora.

Zoologists and paleontologists use fauna to refer to a typical collection of animals found in a specific time or place, e.g. the "Sonoran Desert fauna" or the "Burgess shale fauna". It also can refer to a given subset of the fauna of a given region, as in: "... the Amazon basin has a rich ant fauna...".
[/quote]

Sorry for that. I'll be sure to lighten the vocab for those who are slow to follow...

Official measurements on my big bear were 19-14/16". CalDeer Associatian has a minimum of 19" to make their top 10. I obviously didn't make it but it was nice to at least clear the minimum. Attached picture is of my bear skull bronzed.

Here's my friend Shane's bear he also killed in 2008. DFG pulled a tooth and aged the bear at 12 years old. It was the biggest, nastiest, smelliest, ugliest bear I have ever seen. Official measurements on it were 20-10/16" so he was closer. Here's a could pictures of the toad after he got it home...And mind you, he's 6'2" and goes about 220#. His bear on the hook at the butcher was 310# carcass weight. Butcher put it in the high 500s...

Attachments

• 2008 Skull.jpg
    2008 Skull.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Shane's 2008 Bear.jpg
    Shane's 2008 Bear.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Shane's 2008 Bear2.jpg
    Shane's 2008 Bear2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Shane's 2008 Bear3.jpg
    Shane's 2008 Bear3.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
Very Nice Bears and great story! My biggest bear was in D5 with a 30-06 back in 2001. 19 5/8. B&C has a 20 inch min. Missed it by 3/8.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu