Newbie for elk/ axis buck rifle recommend?

6.8 western for the drt......

Elk I use 06 180gr I've been good out to 200-456yds one shot then they stagger and fall into the thick dead fall......ugh 2 miles from the truck too many times.

well you know every one has a preference lol, you can never have enough rifle's make the guide happy and buy a new rifle. I would look at the 7mm mag, only because it had great reviews for ballistics, and great Bullet B.C. flat shooting , great for elk for future hunts.

Reactions: Herson and Res4cue
I have no doubt that the 30.06 is more than enough. I definitely need more time on it. Like I said regarding it... “it probably just me” but I have not yet gotten comfortable with the Semi auto BAR. In regards to the .308 and the 6.5, I am very comfortable taking the shot. But some of the ranches are not giving the “go ahead” to shoot with the 6.5 after 200.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you had to ask me my least favorite hunting rifle I would probably say the BAR. Not my cup of tea and I have never had a good experience with the few that I have messed with. Bolt actions only when I have a tag.

Reactions: Res4cue
This discussion has been happening since smokeless powder was invented. Love to sit around a campfire and have at it. But to have it on the internet. I don’t have enough skin on my fingertips for that.
Go with a 375 cheytac. It will get the job done.
Wow, 375 huh. Maybe for rabbits and squirrel. I would say 416 Barrett for deer and 50 BMG on elk. Alot easier to track blood when it drips out 5 gallons at a time

• Haha
Reactions: Lungpopper
Take a listen to the podcast linked below. JvB has other ones on using 6.5's for bull elk, and while many do it very successfully...having to be picky about shot angle could be the difference between harvesting a big bull or tag soup. Bulls in thick cover tend to give only steep quarter to shots, where having a bigger gun gives you more opportunity.

I have 375 HH on my gun list for sure. Though @NBK is trying to convince me to go after 338WM.

Take a listen to the podcast linked below. JvB has other ones on using 6.5's for bull elk, and while many do it very successfully...having to be picky about shot angle could be the difference between harvesting a big bull or tag soup. Bulls in thick cover tend to give only steep quarter to shots, where having a bigger gun gives you more opportunity.

I have 375 HH on my gun list for sure. Though @NBK is trying to convince me to go after 338WM.

You can shoot the mid 200’s with your 300WM. I’d step up to something in the 300 plus grains.
Damn there goes more skin.

If you had to ask me my least favorite hunting rifle I would probably say the BAR. Not my cup of tea and I have never had a good experience with the few that I have messed with. Bolt actions only when I have a tag.

It was left to me by my uncle. Fun to shoot out in the desert. Not my “go to” for hunting

The .338 Win Mag is a do all cartridge. Shoots flat, hits hard, penetrates deep and carries more than 4,000 ft lbs of energy. I hunted with one for years. I shot quite a few bulls over 300" and enjoyed quick kills on every animal.

With that said, my 300's have enjoyed the same success. Come to think of it, so have my 6.5's. Now I am confused. I guess pick a caliber and shoot it well. That simple (I think).

Ah hell, I don't know.

The .338 Win Mag is a do all cartridge. Shoots flat, hits hard, penetrates deep and carries more than 4,000 ft lbs of energy. I hunted with one for years. I shot quite a few bulls over 300" and enjoyed quick kills on every animal.

With that said, my 300's have enjoyed the same success. Come to think of it, so have my 6.5's. Now I am confused. I guess pick a caliber and shoot it well. That simple (I think).

Ah hell, I don't know.
Like NBK said, NBK and I developed a 338 reload together and shot pigs and elk and found it to be something that if you did your job no doubt would never let you down. I watched NBK shoot a cow at full sprint at about 300 yards in Montana in the early 90's and it hit the ground like a lighting bolt had caught it. Since then we have had the opportunity to witness each others success's and have moved away from it because it did'nt seem necessary. At this point in my hunting career I would consider using a 338 only if I were in grizzly country as otherwise my 7 mag gets it done and I would not consider that out of the question even then with proper shot placement is aways better but do you really need it ? Shoot what you are confident with and all wil be well...

Reactions: Res4cue
I love the bar. Shot my mt goat wit it at 500. You have the 06 great round it will put everything in North America down for you. Mine loves 150 grain Winchester ammo. Killed more deer and elk with it and a oryx

I love the bar. Shot my mt goat wit it at 500. You have the 06 great round it will put everything in North America down for you. Mine loves 150 grain Winchester ammo. Killed more deer and elk with it and a oryx

I need to put more time in with it. It shoots very different than my Rem 700 and Xbolt. Im sure it’s just repetition. I’ve heard that it is a very popular rifle for hunting on the east coast. That is where my uncle was from.

Where did you shoot the Oryx?

White sands in new mexico
I shot my Oryx there. If I remember right, it was on the "Stallion Range". Man it was cold. Three day hunt. They started the hunt like a NASCAR race. Shot it with a .338 Barnes XLC bullet. It was a once in a lifetime tag.

Reactions: Herson

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu