Newbie for elk/ axis buck rifle recommend?

Hello. I am a newbie hunter. Few kills for food, but nothing worth mounting. I am planning a trip to Texas in November for a white tail and possibly an axis buck. The ranch that I hunted on this past week said that a 6.5 Creedmoor is not enough for an axis buck 200 yds out. I will also be joining a friend up in Montana for some elk as well. I will obviously make the final decision but I am always looking to learn and hear educated opinions. Thank you.
Your friend is right...
Go with a .50 cal...
The good thing is... when you find it, it will be already quartered and ready to go...

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu