Newbie here - Hunting locations?

Tyler Sullivan

Jan 19, 2017
Hello All!

I am a newbie to the forums, but have been hunting for most of my life.

I live in Southern California, but my dad would take my brother and I hunting just north of Fresno a few times a year (we owned a large parcel of property). Every single one of us would come back from those trips with a deer.

Those days are gone, and we no longer have that property. It looks like i'll have to start hunting in the Southern California area. Can you guys recommend any places for me to hunt?

I've heard of Cleveland National Forest -- but i've never actually heard of someone being successful there. My brother also lives in the San Bernardino Mountains, and has told me there are some tags we might be able to get up there. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Hello All!

I am a newbie to the forums, but have been hunting for most of my life.

I live in Southern California, but my dad would take my brother and I hunting just north of Fresno a few times a year (we owned a large parcel of property). Every single one of us would come back from those trips with a deer.

Those days are gone, and we no longer have that property. It looks like i'll have to start hunting in the Southern California area. Can you guys recommend any places for me to hunt?

I've heard of Cleveland National Forest -- but i've never actually heard of someone being successful there. My brother also lives in the San Bernardino Mountains, and has told me there are some tags we might be able to get up there. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Welcome Tyler. I gather from your other post that you hunt upland. Do you hunt big and small game as well? Just wondering what specifically you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Tyler. I gather from your other post that you hunt upland. Do you hunt big and small game as well? Just wondering what specifically you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the welcome!

I apologize if I wasn't specific in my first post. I used to drive up north to go hunt, but I am looking for places in Southern California now, within little driving range.

I am specifically looking to hunt for deer, if there are any left in Southern California :p

Welcome Tyler,

There are plenty of deer in SoCal.....And driving time for them is probably the least for anything we hunt in SoCal....Lots of public land, but can get crowded down here.....So, since you're used to hunting private, you'll probably have to have to walk more.....San Bernardino & Cleveland Nat. Forests, BLM, and some wildlife areas will be your main stays for hunting deer.

ps.....Don't pass on forkys.....lol

Reactions: TRICER
Where should I start? Any recommendations on an area that isn't typically crowded, but can yield success?

What I used to do when I hunted private was, I'd hike 7 miles at 3 AM, set up on a spot, then wait till the sun started to come up. We'd glass over the area and waited till we could see something.

How much more do you think i'd have to hike to get away from the crowd?

Dang......You had 7 miles of private?.......Bummer that you lost it.......:(

These little hills will be nothing for you......I don't think you can walk 7 miles without hitting private someplace......lol

Again, CNF will be your best bet down here in SD Co......Get Onx Maps, a Cleveland map, or use Google earth......As far as exact spot?......That's where your 7 mile walks will help......;)

Dang......You had 7 miles of private?.......Bummer that you lost it.......:(

These little hills will be nothing for you......I don't think you can walk 7 miles without hitting private someplace......lol

Again, CNF will be your best bet down here in SD Co......Get Onx Maps, a Cleveland map, or use Google earth......As far as exact spot?......That's where your 7 mile walks will help......;)

Bummer is right. The economy forced us, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips. I'll check out those maps.

What I used to do when I hunted private was, I'd hike 7 miles at 3 AM, set up on a spot, then wait till the sun started to come up. We'd glass over the area and waited till we could see something.

Thats sums it up for what I do. Except for the 7 miles part. The problem with walking 7 miles is you would be on a road that some one drives up on. You need to walk away from the roads.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu