Newbie here in need of tips and advice

Sneakyhunter

Oct 31, 2021
So I'm a new hunter I'm close to the D13 and have been wanting to start there at first I wanted to start with pig but people have told me that they are all in private land so that bummed me out. I'm thinking of going for quail instead. I have a compound bow, an 12 gauge shotgun, and a .308 rifle. Since I will be alone due to not knowing anyone that hunts I would like some advice on what to do and what not to do. what to expect and things like that. Lastly, I'm as new as they come I have about a month with my bow and guns and have tested out my shotgun once at a range. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sneaky,

Welcome to SCH...I'm going to assume a couple of things...You've taken your Hunter's Safety Course and you have a hunting license with all necessary validations.

Read your hunting regulations backwards & forwards for both upland & big game...You can due this online...(Just type in D-13)...Next invest in OnX Hunts...It's an app that shows public and private lands...Since you'll mostly be hunting the Los Padres NF...It's imperative that you know where your at...OnX also shows water sources, springs, rivers, ponds, etc...In this dry country, all animals will frequent these places...You can also E-Scout on OnX...It will show terrain, access roads, and boundaries.

All of California is non-lead...So, your rifle has to be copper and your shotgun needs to be steel or another non lead pellet...You didn't say much about your shotgun...Pump, semi auto, OU, SBS...If it's a pump or semi, it should have a modified choke...Do NOT shoot steel thru a full choke...Your shotgun should have a good sling...Your .308 has a bunch of options for deer ammo...Ask that questions under Big Game thread or General discussion...A lot of guys can answer that better than me.

For upland...Which would include, quail, dove, band-tailed pigeons, rabbits, etc,...You will need a vest or game and shell belt...Good boots, camo for dove or pigeons, but not necessary for quail or rabbits...Blaze orange is actually a good idea for quail and flushing birds...On short walks, a single bottle of water will suffice...Longer walks for something like mountain quail, you may want a little more.

This is only a fraction of "Stuff" you can get...Shoot both your guns as often as you can afford (shells are expensive and hard to find)...Same goes for your bow...Which really costs little.

YouTube is your friend...Lots of videos out there that could help you in your particular area....Good luck

Last edited:
Sneaky,

Welcome to SCH...I'm going to assume a couple of things...You've taken your Hunter's Safety Course and you have a hunting license with all necessary validations.

Read your hunting regulations backwards & forwards for both upland & big game...You can due this online...(Just type in D-13)...Next invest in OnX Hunts...It's an app that shows public and private lands...Since you'll mostly be hunting the Los Padres NF...It's imperative that you know where your at...OnX also shows water sources, springs, rivers, ponds, etc...In this dry country, all animals will frequent these places...You can also E-Scout on OnX...It will show terrain, access roads, and boundaries.

All of California is non-lead...So, your rifle has to be copper and your shotgun needs to be steel or another non lead pellet...You didn't say much about your shotgun...Pump, semi auto, OU, SBS...If it's a pump or semi, it should have a modified choke...Do NOT shoot steel thru a full choke...Your shotgun should have a good sling...Your .308 has a bunch of options for deer ammo...Ask that questions under Big Game thread or General discussion...A lot of guys can answer that better than me.

For upland...Which would include, quail, dove, band-tailed pigeons, rabbits, etc,...You will need a vest or game and shell belt...Good boots, camo for dove or pigeons, but not necessary for quail or rabbits...Blaze orange is actually a good idea for quail and flushing birds...On short walks, a single bottle of water will suffice...Longer walks for something like mountain quail, you may want a little more.

This is only a fraction of "Stuff" you can get...Shoot both your guns as often as you can afford (shells are expensive and hard to find)...Same goes for your bow...Which really costs little.

YouTube is your friend...Lots of videos out there that could help you in your particular area....Good luck
The hunter's ed is finished and will be getting the license soon I want to make sure I'm ready before I get it so it won't go to waste. The shotgun I got for home defense but it's an All Generations 12GA Pump Action, 18.5 it comes with all 3 chokes full, modified, and improved so hopefully I can use it for hunting if not I would like to know so I can get another if you can recommend one. I do have a sling. The regulation I've read a couple of times should be good but I will give it another read. I'm definitely going to invest in onX it's an amazing app thanks for the tip. ill be getting a vest soon and good to know steel shots arent good on full chokes ill keep that in mind. I'll check out youtube for sure. Thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it I want to be as prepared and knowledgeable as possible since I will be doing this solo. thank you again

Reactions: ilovesprig
The hunter's ed is finished and will be getting the license soon I want to make sure I'm ready before I get it so it won't go to waste. The shotgun I got for home defense but it's an All Generations 12GA Pump Action, 18.5 it comes with all 3 chokes full, modified, and improved so hopefully I can use it for hunting if not I would like to know so I can get another if you can recommend one. I do have a sling. The regulation I've read a couple of times should be good but I will give it another read. I'm definitely going to invest in onX it's an amazing app thanks for the tip. ill be getting a vest soon and good to know steel shots arent good on full chokes ill keep that in mind. I'll check out youtube for sure. Thank you so much for the reply I really appreciate it I want to be as prepared and knowledgeable as possible since I will be doing this solo. thank you again
18.5" barrel is awful short for wingshooting. For a couple quail or rabbit outings you may get by fine but if you find that you like hunting and want to hunt other things, I recommend swapping the HD shotgun for a pump or semi-auto in the 26-28" range, which is a good all-around length for most hunting.

18.5" barrel is awful short for wingshooting. For a couple quail or rabbit outings you may get by fine but if you find that you like hunting and want to hunt other things, I recommend swapping the HD shotgun for a pump or semi-auto in the 26-28" range, which is a good all-around length for most hunting.
I agree with Steve, a might short for wing shooting. More like a home defense weapon. I would suggest you see what is out there in your price range in the way of pumps or sea auto. lots of guys started wing shooting with an 870. I still have mine I got in the early 70's.

Welcome! Sounds like you and I are in the same boat, maybe we can link up some time, scout the off season, Im always looking for new hiking/camping partners and hopefully a hunting partner. Dale may pop in and pipe up, he has some pretty good info on ducks, upland birds, and bow hunting as well

Yea that's what I had guessed but ill take it out a couple of times for now and see how it goes but ill look into a longer barrel for sure. Would you recommend one? I have a budget of about 1k if there's a good one for about that price range

Yea that's what I had guessed but ill take it out a couple of times for now and see how it goes but ill look into a longer barrel for sure. Would you recommend one? I have a budget of about 1k if there's a good one for about that price range

That's a little low for a Benelli, but in the Benelli/Beretta family there is the Franchi and a little lower grade Stoeger...Lot of friends shoot both and both are Inertia driven...Both are semi autos and I would get the 26" in whatever you choose.

That's a little low for a Benelli, but in the Benelli/Beretta family there is the Franchi and a little lower grade Stoeger...Lot of friends shoot both and both are Inertia driven...Both are semi autos and I would get the 26" in whatever you choose.
I agree.. highly recommend the Franchi Affinity. I loved mine before I upgraded.. should be able to get one in the $800 range.

i looked at the bennali and I'm in awe highest shogun I've seen go was 1800 at a gun store didn't even know they go that high. i have a lot to learn...

Pointer Field Tek 4 12 Gauge 28" Barrel, Max5 Camo, Burnt Bronze Cerakote this shotgun is about 500 they both shoot shells but I would like to know how you guys view shotguns and see why more expensive is better if anything?

We've raffled a couple of Pointer shotguns at our NWTF banquets and Tune-Ups...So far, no complaints as far as I know...The price is certainly low enough (4 fiddy)...I personally prefer a 26" barrel...Better IMO for all around bird hunting.

i looked at the bennali and I'm in awe highest shogun I've seen go was 1800 at a gun store didn't even know they go that high. i have a lot to learn...

Pointer Field Tek 4 12 Gauge 28" Barrel, Max5 Camo, Burnt Bronze Cerakote this shotgun is about 500 they both shoot shells but I would like to know how you guys view shotguns and see why more expensive is better if anything?

Like a lot of folks, I started out with a Remington 870. Worked great for years.. shot ducks, turkey, rabbits, etc. Then I got my first auto, a Franchi Affinity. Looking back I wish I had spent a little more money up front to buy a nice semi-auto instead of that 870. A nice shotgun is more reliable in the elements, balanced, points well, and will serve you better in the field. It's the gun I use most so I wanted to invest in something worthwhile. Not saying the Pointer won't do those things instead of a Benelli. Go shoulder some at a gun shop and see what feels good.

For shotguns under a grand consider the Berretta A300 Outlander. My 12 guage auto has been an absolute workhouse with no issues. Killed a lot of game with it. Liked it so much I bought the 20 gauge model (Ultima) for dove and quail. They’re only $750.

I like short barrels and some aftermarket chokes can add a few more inches if your inclined, just can’t get used to the swing on the long barrels, feels slower tracking and off balance to me. I use a 21” barrel and fits me like a third arm. Don’t have to aim, just look and fire. Saving up for a nice coach gun next.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu