Newbie in Ramona

j_prich

Jun 22, 2018
I am brand new to all of this, never deer hunted in California and just moved down to Ramona. Anybody have any advice or places to start off at in D16? Thanks in advance for the help/advice.

Reactions: Goyaałé and Moves
JP,

Welcome to SCH....You moved to a great central location to hunt in D-16...As stated in another thread....Cleveland NF, BLM, and wildlife areas are all around you....Start studying and you'll find places to hunt deer.....Good luck.

ps....Read the California big game regs backwards and forwards....This state is probably much different than where you've hunted before.

Reactions: DirtNapCity
JP,

Welcome to SCH....You moved to a great central location to hunt in D-16...As stated in another thread....Cleveland NF, BLM, and wildlife areas are all around you....Start studying and you'll find places to hunt deer.....Good luck.

ps....Read the California big game regs backwards and forwards....This state is probably much different than where you've hunted before.

Thank you for the help. Funny part is I grew up in Iowa (NEVER deer hunted there) a bird hunter and originally planned on doing some pheasant hunting out here since I heard they are around (surprised me), but can't seem to find anyone that knows anything about it so I decided to put in for a deer tag in the mean time. Thanks again for the reply, really looking forward to getting out there and spending some time on the mountain sides.

Don't give up on bird hunting....The Imperial Valley offers dove, quail, ducks, geese, and pheasant....Our pheasant population isn't what it used to be, but they can be had.

ps....These hunts were in November...Friday, Saturday (Imperial), and on the way home Sunday (SD)....;)

.pheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 015.JPGpheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 046.JPGpheasant,dove,deer nov 10-14 053.JPG

Welcome,
Like spring said, pheasants can be had in the imperial valley. I get a few every year. Dove is good as well.

loads of great guys here with loads on knowledge.

Welcome J,
Stay tuned, tags have been issued and hunters are getting ready. The hunting season is right around the corner, some good info will start flowing around the site. Remember to search the site past' post, lots of great info.

Welcome to the site JP. I was born and raised in ramona but dont live there now. Im fairly new to hunting but started with dove and quail in Imperial valley and in the process of buying my first deer rifle and hopefully putting a tag on my first deer in D16 this season. Lots of good info from the guys here. Just keep checking back and asking questions. Good luck to you this season

I am brand new to all of this, never deer hunted in California and just moved down to Ramona. Anybody have any advice or places to start off at in D16? Thanks in advance for the help/advice.
Tuesday night NWTF meeting would be a good place to start asking questions. IMO

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu