Newbie in San Diego

irvin9906

Jun 10, 2016
Hey everyone, I'm a newbie hunter but not new to San Diego. I grew up mostly in East County; Alpine, Lakeside, El Cajon. I live in La Mesa right now.

I've only just started shooting a few years ago and am now working to get into hunting. I didn't grow up with any guns or hunting so I am learning everything now as I go. I'm currently going through the online portion of Hunter Education and am scheduled to do the in-class portion next Saturday.

I currently have a Remington 870, Glock 27 and a CZ .22LR. I am interested in hunting just about anything, but a friend and I first got on the idea with wild pigs (heard the Descanso area has them). I'll be honest, it is a bit discouraging to hear that SoCal is very competetive/slim-pickings. It is going to be hard enough learning everything! However, I'm up for the challenge, and I suppose I have a good start getting ready to be licensed right at the renewal time!

I learned about the site at Fine Firearms yesterday as I browsed rifles. I'm going to try and make it out for the BBQ!

- Ron

Welcome to SCH Ron. There is good hunting in the county, but you have to be willing to hike to remote areas. If you enjoy getting out, you'll have fun. Personally, if I get a chance to observe game in their habitat, I consider it a successful hunt. If I bring some home, that's a bonus.

Welcome to the forum Ron. Lots you can do with that 870 you got. That's a great shotgun. Dove, ducks, quail, and more you can take within Southern California.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron,

Welcome to SCH.......Lots of great info here.......Pigs will be tough, if you stay in SoCal......Upland in the IV and deer here in San Diego Co. are feasible and a good place to start your hunting adventures.

The BBQ is a good call.....Lots of like minded folks.

Thanks everyone! I will definitely check out the SDCVC meeting!

What does 'upland in the IV' mean?

I'll shift on over to the proper section for my gun questions...!

irvin9906 said:

Upland in the IV means Upland game in the Imperial Valley. Upland game consists of dove, quail, pheasant, and other non-waterfowl game birds. Somebody correct me if I missed an important bird.

Chris_Schulte said:
irvin9906 said:

Upland in the IV means Upland game in the Imperial Valley. Upland game consists of dove, quail, pheasant, and other non-waterfowl game birds. Somebody correct me if I missed an important bird.

That about covers everything upland in the IV.....Go north some and you can include chukar and our different species of grouse.....The IV also offers really good rabbit hunting & of course, waterfowl.

ps.....Some may consider Wilson's snipe as upland.

Reactions: Goyaałé

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu