Newbie Needs Rifle Advice

Wrong....The 150 yd rule states, you must be a 150 yds from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn....The only provision about roads is, you can NOT shoot from or over them.

Here's the exact wording.....

3004. (a) It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner,
person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express
permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to
hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly
weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or
other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection
therewith. The 150-yard area is a "safety zone."
(b) It is unlawful for any person to intentionally discharge any
firearm or release any arrow or crossbow bolt over or across any
public road or other established way open to the public in an unsafe
and reckless manner.
Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Please move if it's the wrong place for this.

Hi everybody, trying to get started later then I expected in hunting. Don't know much about anything to do with hunting but been learning a much as I can. I'm getting ready to purchase a rifle, but would like to get your advice. I don't know exactly where I'll be doing most of my hunts, but most likely D11 as it's closets to me. I've narrowed my choices to two guns linked below. I'm doing a budget gun to test the waters. Also, I'm wondering if there are any people near LA or Orange County that would like to mentor someone like me. I have my license and OnX. I have so many questions on hunting national forest and would really like to hear an experience hunter break it down for me. I've reached out to the ranger stations, but no one really has answers and only direct you to Fish and Wildlife, so frustrating. Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks

Howa 1500 in 30-06

Or
Howa hunter combo in 270
Great that you are getting into hunting. It is a very rewarding hobby/sport that offers tasty meals. I agree with the Moderator and would start out with the 270. More comfortable to shoot than the ’06 so most are more inclined to get more bench time.

For most, firearms are akin to tattoos, not many individuals have just one. They end up with several so only input is to start out with something fun (like a 270) and not too expensive. Sorry, but if you stay with the sport you will own more firearms. Almost guaranteed.

Maybe also think about upland game hunting. The seasons are longer than for rifle, and you will be out in the field more so still capitalizing on learning the hunt zones and the game animals in the zones.

Lastly, as a new hunter in a stupidly restricted locked down hunting state, do your best to find some hunting friend(s). Not easy, will take a few years to build up your small personal and trustworthy network.

Keep us posted on your rifle purchase!

Reactions: WntHnt and sportyg
I know you said you trying to choose between a .270 and 30-06, but as was mentioned earlier, the 6.5 Creedmor could be even be a better choice...See comparison link

My daughter shot a .243 Savage and has never missed, but with copper being required in Cali...I did not like the knock down power of the 85 grain bullet...I bought her (& me ;) ) a Ruger American 6.5 CM.....The larger bullet (125 grain) and all the same features of the .243 (light recoil & light rifle) was no brainer...It hasn't missed either...And, we haven't had to go 200 yds to find the animal... :blush:

kiki buck '21 4.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: WntHnt and sportyg
Before you buy a rifle and scope,set up ask yourself this:
What am I going to hunt for?
How often will I hunt?
Where will I hunt?
Do I want a "one does it all rifle"?
Does recoil bother me?
Am I going to be hiking miles to find game? If you hunt locally and are new to it you probably,will.
Would I hunt out of state?
How long of a shot would I realistically be taking ? 100,200,300,400yrds?
Are you OK letting a deer go because you can not handle a precise shot at 300yrds?
Do you want a,work horse rifle? Or you want it to look pretty on your safe/wall?

You need to know that some rifles are pretty heavy (nice to handle recoil but bad for long hikes)..
But a light rifle can kick pretty hard if they are chamber on 30 06 for example.
I am not talking about the physical abuse that might come with recoil but your ability to be accurate on follow up shots and to be looking forward to shoot it so you can practice.
Long hikes expose your rifle to scratches...battle wounds if you will.
The blue barrel will rust on you if you are not meticulous about cleaning it after a hunt and protect it...

This is my 3yr hunting with a rifle and other than i wished i have a,scope with a little bit bigger field of view, I made the right decision buying a Tika t3x lite on 6.5 cr with a synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel. I don't always clean the gun right away after a hunt.

It might not be the best set up for Elk but I can't even get a tag for Elk.
As I venture to hunt out of state it seems I should consider a little bigger caliber that is more forgiving on not perfectly placed shots.

Lots to think about.

Please move if it's the wrong place for this.

Hi everybody, trying to get started later then I expected in hunting. Don't know much about anything to do with hunting but been learning a much as I can. I'm getting ready to purchase a rifle, but would like to get your advice. I don't know exactly where I'll be doing most of my hunts, but most likely D11 as it's closets to me. I've narrowed my choices to two guns linked below. I'm doing a budget gun to test the waters. Also, I'm wondering if there are any people near LA or Orange County that would like to mentor someone like me. I have my license and OnX. I have so many questions on hunting national forest and would really like to hear an experience hunter break it down for me. I've reached out to the ranger stations, but no one really has answers and only direct you to Fish and Wildlife, so frustrating. Your input is highly appreciated. Thanks

Howa 1500 in 30-06

Or
Howa hunter combo in 270
PM me. I have the Howa 1500 in .30 O6

John

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu