Newbie questions regarding archery deer season

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Hello all,
My question is, during archery season for deer, are you allowed to carry a holstered handgun with you during archery season?
Thank you!

It is not allowed in the great state of CA!

It is under unlawful actions and the AO tag section as well.

Archery-Only (AO) Hunt Tag:

The AO (Archery-Only) tag allows hunting with archery equipment
only during the archery and general seasons in A, B, or D
zones and Hunt G10 (military only). To hunt during an X zone
archery season, you must have an Area-Specific Archery Hunt
tag for the appropriate zone. You may not possess a firearm
or crossbow when hunting under the authority of an Archery-
Only deer tag except as otherwise provided.

Unlawful Actions:
Possess a firearm while hunting during archery season or
while hunting during the general season with an archery only
tag. CCR T14-354(h).

Thank you and that what I thought, however I will not be hunting with an Archery Only tag. It just a normal D16 tag, and I was thinking I'd try to harvest a deer with a bow the first 2 weekends, and if I am not successful, then the last 2 weekends I will rifle hunt.

And I am guessing my general season deer tag is not valid during Archery Only season dates, even if I only have a bow with me? And when I hunt general season with a bow, I am allowed to have a holstered handgun, is that correct? sorry for all the questions, This is my first deer tag ever and I have been reading all over the DFG website but some of their lingo is hard to pinpoint.

I think you can carry both with a general season tag. But keep asking, cause im not sure. But why would you carry both? There is only one monster in the D-16 area and he was "FIRED" for smelling up the agency.

kylemg0009 said:
And I am guessing my general season deer tag is not valid during Archery Only season dates, even if I only have a bow with me? And when I hunt general season with a bow, I am allowed to have a holstered handgun, is that correct? sorry for all the questions, This is my first deer tag ever and I have been reading all over the DFG website but some of their lingo is hard to pinpoint.

The AO tag is only good in the seasons of D zones, both bow & rifle......If you shot a deer with your bow in D-16 rifle, you can tag it with your AO.....A couple years back a friend shot a buck in the D-16 bow portion (Sept). He had both a AO & a D-16 tag. In theory, he could've tagged it with either tag.....He obviously chose the AO.

Your other question about the handgun and bow hunting in the general.....I would say no, but who knows.....I personally would NOT have any firearm on me, if I had a bow in my hand......2 cents

thanks for the advice guys, I only have a general D16 tag, I do not have an AO. So during general season I am planning on pursuing with a bow the first two weekends, then the last with a rifle if I have not tagged out, I do not plan on having both on me at the same time.

As for the handgun, I will make a call to make sure I am legally able to holster a handgun archery hunting during general season. It simply gives me an ease of mind having it on me, and when I scouted my area a few months ago, there were a lot of mountain lion signs.

Make damn sure that lion is practically purring on your lap.........Read this........ ::)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAFahUKEwiMz4ix-NnGAhVQM4gKHZWIAzk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sandiegouniontribune.com%2Fnews%2F2012%2Ffeb%2F03%2Fcalifornia-bow-hunter-pleads-guilty-killing-mounta%2F&ei=9qSkVYz8HdDmoASVkY7IAw&usg=AFQjCNFSZoASXpoU_PHfK_tM3mEPdL78AA&sig2=ZVz-3XyMD434TnXQnvtRtw&bvm=bv.97653015,d.cGU

ilovesprig said:
Make damn sure that lion is practically purring on your lap.........Read this........ ::)

.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAFahUKEwiMz4ix-NnGAhVQM4gKHZWIAzk&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sandiegouniontribune.com%2Fnews%2F2012%2Ffeb%2F03%2Fcalifornia-bow-hunter-pleads-guilty-killing-mounta%2F&ei=9qSkVYz8HdDmoASVkY7IAw&usg=AFQjCNFSZoASXpoU_PHfK_tM3mEPdL78AA&sig2=ZVz-3XyMD434TnXQnvtRtw&bvm=bv.97653015,d.cGU

Yeah I remember reading that article and couldn't believe it. Ill make sure anything I do falls under whats allowed. Like I said, it helps just to ease the mind. Thanks again guys.

Also keep in mind that the D16 tag has an early archery season that starts in September. I think it is from the 1st Saturday in Sept for three weeks. It is ARCHERY ONLY so dont carry a firearm. When the general season opens up you can carry a sidearm.

Thanks Dano, thats something I was wondering about, i do NOT have an AO tag but do have a D16 general season tag. Does that mean I am able to use the D16 general season tag during the archery season if I only bring my bow?

Yes. First sat in sept and extends for 23 consecutive days. Then it shuts down. The general season opens up in October.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu