Newbie reload

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
well fellas I jumped on the reloading game, Thanks to NBK (John) Fine Firearms & Lungpopper (Daryl) on helping me out with getting my equipment. Being studying reloading until I can not stand it . now it's time pull the trigger, and started de-capping and sizing my old spent 243 brass. I did 10 shells last night. but lost one to a defect. I know some of you guys have been doing it for years. but it's never to late to start. next I need to pull the loads for Hornady SST 95 gr bullets. have powder, and large primers. ready for the next step, these will be for target practice. once I feel confident. start reloading for hunting.

Last edited:
well fellas I jumped on the reloading game, Thanks to NBK (John) Fine Firearms & Lungpopper (Daryl) on helping me out with getting my equipment. Being studying reloading until I can not stand it . now it's time pull the trigger, and started de-capping and sizing my old spent 243 brass. I did 10 shells last night. but lost one to a defect. I know some of you guys have been doing it for years. but it's never to late to start. next I need to pull the loads for Hornady SST 95 gr bullets. have powder, and large primers. ready for the next step, these will be for target practice. once I feel confident. start reloading for hunting.
I would invest in a kinetic bullet puller if your getting into reloading. They are cheap and will help out in case of any mis loaded ammo or any other issues. I have been reloading since I was 20 and now at 58 still load. Good luck.

I would invest in a kinetic bullet puller if your getting into reloading. They are cheap and will help out in case of any mis loaded ammo or any other issues. I have been reloading since I was 20 and now at 58 still load. Good luck.
Thanks for the suggestion, all is helpful, edit: I added to the list , if there is a primer on is it safe?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, all is helpful, edit: I added to the list , if there is a primer on is it safe?
Yes, the purpose is to be able to unload the bullet from the brass with primer seated. It removes the bullet and dumps the powder all at the same time and contains it within the device.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
another note on reloading. nothing wrong getting a couple of manuals. you will also get a lot of verbal advise such as crimp or not crimping, choices of primers, type of powder, brand of bullet. unless your reloading to be a sniper and hitting a target at 5,000 yards and you have a gun that cost $10,000 then enjoy the hobby and be safe. Sierra is a really good source that I have relied on over the years as they will even entertain questions & answers either via phone or internet. I have also over the years noticed that even if you lay down 3 of the same make, model and caliber of guns that they will not shoot the same even with the same load, just my opinion. I also load several different loads and see which one the gun groups the best at and then load around that recipe. Enjoy your new hobby.

another note on reloading. nothing wrong getting a couple of manuals. you will also get a lot of verbal advise such as crimp or not crimping, choices of primers, type of powder, brand of bullet. unless your reloading to be a sniper and hitting a target at 5,000 yards and you have a gun that cost $10,000 then enjoy the hobby and be safe. Sierra is a really good source that I have relied on over the years as they will even entertain questions & answers either via phone or internet. I have also over the years noticed that even if you lay down 3 of the same make, model and caliber of guns that they will not shoot the same even with the same load, just my opinion. I also load several different loads and see which one the gun groups the best at and then load around that recipe. Enjoy your new hobby.
Thank you very much Cadeerhunter.
I been paying attention to all on this board and on my own. I just simple guy keeping my mind busy. Sent you a DM / PM. That bullet puller is a good tip.
I looking forward to my new hobby.
It's a great transition to my past experiences. Just looking to improve my target shooting up to 300 yards for now.

Any one have a copy of the instructions of the Lee precision ram prime. I can purchase it for a dollar. But if someone has it it would save me the hassle. Here is a pic of to the ram prime tools.

Attachments

• 16176565980263110975161087465932.jpg
    16176565980263110975161087465932.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 3
I ordered a new hand held Lee precision auto primer. It's on it's way. But I want to use the ram prime as back up. I can observe that picking up those tiny little primer one at a time would be a pita for this old guy. Lol. Does any use the lyman cartridge head space gage that makes sure the correct length is set. The brass cartridge drops in and check to the top of the head.

308 looking at 165gr ttsx bt 1-12 twist so should work on my mossy, looks like son in laws rifle may need 200 gr for 1-10 twist I had back wards
or the 165 gr work for his 1-10 twist ?

308 looking at 165gr ttsx bt 1-12 twist so should work on my mossy, looks like son in laws rifle may need 200 gr for 1-10 twist I had back wards
or the 165 gr work for his 1-10 twist ?
Solid projectiles require a faster twist because the projectile is longer than a lead jacketed bullet so it must spin faster to stabilize properly. The 200 grain seems heavy for a 1:10 twist and solid projectile.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu