Newbie with a Turkey Question

socalangler

Apr 2, 2020
Hey fellow hunters, new member here with a quick turkey question and weekend report. Hunted this weekend on public land and finally heard a few gobbles and actually had a big jake come into our decoys. This was our first real chance at a bird. As the jake strutted in to about 20 yards, gobbling its brains out, I noticed it had no beard even though he was a huge bird. To my knowledge even if it is a jake and the law states a bird must have a beard to be considered legal. Long story short I let the bird pass and am super bummed but feel like I made the right decision. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Alex,

In essence, you're hunting beards...Hens can have beards (please don't shoot), and big old toms can have no beard...Saw one this year on MCC and one on private last year (pic).

.View attachment 43802
Yeah I figured better safe than sorry. After reading your post about fall birds we will spend the fall season up north or central California in areas with a betterr population. I would have never know without reading that about the San Diego populations being low. Makes sense with how tough it is to find public land birds. I sent you a DM about my fiance wanting to reach out to your daughter about hunting. Thanks for the feedback!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu