Newbies in San Fernando Valley

yomondo

Nov 10, 2014
Hello all! My two boys and I just got our Hunter Ed Certification over the weekend, and we know almost nothing about hunting beyond that, so I came here hoping to learn. A LOT! Don't know yet what we might be interested in hunting, but that's part of the learning process. I have a .308 and a 12 gauge, and I understand those could be useful. Just wanted to pop in and say hello for now.

Yo,

Welcome to SCH.........Lots of great threads to read........Which should be your 1st step in learning what you and your sons may want to hunt.......Nothing easy about hunting SoCal, but there are a lot of opportunities, if you do your homework......Good luck.

A really good place to start is hiking public lands, using good maps and getting to know boundaries between public and private land. Get maps of the Angeles National forest, and contact the BLM office for BLM land near you. Do you camp or hike with your boys?

welcome, looks like we both joined yesterday. If you ever need a hunting partner or hiking buddy exploring a new spot feel free to message me. I'm in Pacoima

xjixta said:
welcome, looks like we both joined yesterday. If you ever need a hunting partner or hiking buddy exploring a new spot feel free to message me. I'm in Pacoima

Thanks. We'll keep that in mind. Got a lot of learning to do for now.

Any Sfv hunters wanna get out and get some quail this weekend. I'll be out sat or Sunday with my dog and teenage sons at my quail spots should be good with the rain. I'm also from the Sfv area.

Gspman said:
Any Sfv hunters wanna get out and get some quail this weekend. I'll be out sat or Sunday with my dog and teenage sons at my quail spots should be good with the rain. I'm also from the Sfv area.

I'll only be able to pick up my shotgun on Monday, otherwise I'd join you!

not to bring up an old thread but.... any of the SFV guys get out yet? im heading up camping for the weekend with the family either of you guys or any one else wanna join get out? especially if your new. about 60 miles north on the 5 then another 40 miles of winding mt roads and you are there. rabbit? quail? maybe a coyote stand?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu