Newbies

James Kaye

Nov 5, 2017
San Diego
Hello my son Sam and I have been scouting for turkeys around San Diego County and I'm wondering if anybody has any information to help us out

Hey welcome. Always great to see dad and kids out

Usually if I’m In San Diego area looking for turkeys i find them in vons Ralph’s and Albertsons. Also down town has a whole bunch running around. ;)

Thanks ,We don't mind doing some work but I'm just looking for some likely spots.Also any information on the best duck hunting spots would greatly be appreciated

Hi James and welcome to SCH,

Spring time is turkey time.....We do have a fall season, but we at NWTF are encouraging folks not to shoot hens in the fall.....It's also very difficult to tell a young tom from hens in the fall.....Our turkey population is way down and we feel by not shooting hens, we have a better chance of recovery next spring.

NWTF has a Spring Turkey Tune-Up next spring at Lake Sutherland ( Feb 17th).....We offer turkey hunts thru the City of San Diego on the Lake Sutherland property.....The event also has a place to shoot your turkey gun, get calling lessons, and buy turkey hunting stuff.

We also have monthly meeting the 4th Tuesday of each month at Filippi's Pizza in Poway......Meetings start at 6:30 pm.....You can get more info by calling (NWTF website or Facebook) or sending me a pm.

Most turkeys this time of year are on private lands for obvious reasons.....Better food, available water, and less folks harassing them.

Ducking hunting is available at Barrett Lake here in San Diego Co.....The other options in SoCal are San Jacinto and Imperial Wildlife (Wister Unit) areas.....Google these for more info.....If you need more, please PM me.

Good luck with your son.

Reactions: JakeSCH

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu