No Ruddy's Today

8SteelTown

Went out this morning for duck with StikBrandon and his pup Cali. That dog does work! Rad spot. Got 4 mallards (3m & 1f) and 1 Gadwall drake. Been a while since I've military crawled to pop some game. All 5 were face shots. Picture has 2 male, 1 female (who lost her head), and the gadwall. Got the 3rd male after. Awesome day! Check out the vid of his dog... "Get the bird"... And she did! The 1 male I whole'd had a big ol layer of fat. Big bird.

th_trim.FBA8007F-7E93-4207-B7C7-39E63A121AC7.jpg

image-9.jpg

Epic day! Cali was 5for5 off your birds. If I wouldn't have got tore up at my dads Wednesday night and for got my gun , I'd have shot a limit ! JFK .... It wwas an awesome day bro glad u put the birds down.

sdhunter said:
Nice birds! I'd rather shoot just a few of them birds over a pile of stink any day!

what's a pile of stink? Coots? If that's what you mean, I cooked up some coot the other day and it was bomb. Must be my brine dressing up a pig on prom night. Still a stigma on the thought of coot... I'd rather eat 1 mallard over 15 coot, even though the coot doesn't taste bad. Weird stigma idn't it?

If that's NOT what you meant by a pile of stink, disregard.

now that is what i call a versatile dog! NAVHDA needs a new category for this.

sdhunter said:
Stink is a term used for shooting divers, coots, that's a whole different category. Divers don't eat as well as puddles.

Good to know... thanks for the lingo lesson. Since all of my kills have been divers / coots (besides 1 teal), I guess I don't even know what I'm about to get into with these mallards!!! Really stoked now!!!

Cali was so stoked to be by the water and was fully purpose driven. Girl didn't chomp down on any of my birds and was all about business. Straight out and straight back. Even did a little pointing at some decoys... overachiever!

8SteelTown said:
sdhunter said:
Stink is a term used for shooting divers, coots, that's a whole different category. Divers don't eat as well as puddles.

Good to know... thanks for the lingo lesson. Since all of my kills have been divers / coots (besides 1 teal), I guess I don't even know what I'm about to get into with these mallards!!! Really stoked now!!!

Cali was so stoked to be by the water and was fully purpose driven. Girl didn't chomp down on any of my birds and was all about business. Straight out and straight back. Even did a little pointing at some decoys... overachiever!

Your in the early stage of a disease, although not terminal, it can be quite impacting on relationships and the bank account.... ;D

FIVE STAGES OF A HUNTER

Hunters change through the years. Factors used to determine
"successful hunting" change as well for each hunter. A hunter's age,
role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of
"success."

Many hunters may fit into one of the following five groups. In
1975-1980, groups of over 1,000 hunters in Wisconsin were studied,
surveyed, and written about by Professors Robert Jackson and Robert
Norton, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The results of their
studies form a widely accepted theory of hunter behavior and
development. Where are you now? Where would you like to be?

SHOOTER STAGE

The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to
being able to "get shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will
relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The
beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting
opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A
beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of
his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting
partner.

LIMITING OUT STAGE

A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what
seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game
and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a
tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be
stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.

TROPHY STAGE

Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck
hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special
deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting
opportunity and skills become less important.

METHOD STAGE

This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of
the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the
method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important,
but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard
how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in
waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer,
studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the
hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder
firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is
understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.

SPORTSMAN STAGE

As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he "mellows out."
Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being
in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing
nature outweigh the need for taking game.

Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that
particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several
species of game to be in different stages with regard to each
species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen,
training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly
through some stages.

---------------
California Department of Fish and Game. "California Hunter Education
Manual". 1995 (revised edition). Sacramento, California. [p.8]

5 stages of a Wister duck hunter.

1st stage is the epic fail stage, where you never get birds and beat your head into a wall.

2nd stage is the make friends with ilovesprig stage. where he shows you how to duck hunt at wister and you finally get some birds even though half of them are from sprig backing you up. ( do not feel bad my dad used to back me up too)

3rd stage is the on my own stage, where you hope no one is looking as you sky bust at snow geese and ducks flying 100 yards over head with loads of dead coyote T shot. spoons are a big part of your take and your dog has learned how to dive after all the cripples

4th stage you finally figure out how to work the system and kill ducks but about this time you decide its a good idea to make kids and you never get out. That is ok because the new drawing system never picks your name.

5th stage you join a local club and learn that the true waterfowler drinks a lot and eats to much food.

thank you for your time.

even though I haven't gone through all of the stages the last few posts sound pretty spot on.

People trippin on the pit yet. You just did what people think is impossible congrats see you soon

Sdbirds said:
People trippin on the pit yet. You just did what people think is impossible congrats see you soon

She's pretty good, better yet, I'm done down playing her, she's dam good!!!! .. I push her Right, Left and back all off of hand commands paired with "dead bird" I have pushed her 100 yards on a blind retrieves to have her come back with ducks in her mouth on several occasions.

Just goes to show if the dog has prey drive, and you have the patients, you can teach them to retrieve a duck. She turned out great for my first dog. I'm self taught with info from you guys here on the forum and YouTube.

I did have a guy at San J tell me he thinks she's a lab with some kind of German hunting dog .. (can't remember the breed) doesn't matter to me tho, she handles buisness

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu