NO Sportsman's Catering Truck This Year

Duckfan

Mar 7, 2015
As expected, the Sportsman's Catering truck will not be available this year. Scott Sewell is going to try and advertise for new owners for NEXT season.

Just a reminder that no license or permits sales available at the check station. Come prepared.

Pass The Word..

I don't do wister but I did buy ammo all the time when in the north of the valley.

Nobody bought the business or renewed lease from Frank & Marilyn (moved to Texas).
I'm glad Frank made the move. One more family to move out of California. He probably got tired of dealing with the leases. Wasn't just a couple years ago the State were screwing with him?

I'm glad Frank made the move. One more family to move out of California. He probably got tired of dealing with the leases. Wasn't just a couple years ago the State were screwing with him?

I don't know if screwing with him is the right term...Scott Sewell worked behind the scenes to insure his lease got renewed...Just too many IF'S, to take on a business on a seasonal basis IMO.

Reactions: THE_NEW_GUY
Yeah...I can't see too many people wanting to run a part-time seasonal business like that. I mean think of the hours. I don't remember what times he opened and closed but figure Friday night late until Sunday maybe mid-day and Tuesday night late until mid-day Wednesday. And then the BS you'd have to go through now just to sell a box of shells (background checks) and to be a DFW "license agent". I also can't see someone that wants to hunt running it either because you wouldn't be able to run the place and go out hunting at the same time. And add to that, unless you want a long commute to work, where you'd have to choose from to live to be fairly close to the place. Not really the garden spot of the state. Maybe someone would want to just do a catering truck to supply food and drink but I'm not so sure any more than that would be worth it.

Good idea. I wonder if a catering truck would have to jump through hoops to sell coffee and burritos from the parking lot out there? If they could just show up without needing to get some sort of permit, then we could probably find one out there in the IV that might be interested in showing up.

A catering truck was what I was thinking...Lots of folks do work sites
Yeah, a catering truck would probably be all anybody could expect in the future. As I noted in my post above because of the current regulations and hassles it would be a long shot finding someone willing to do more than that and even get close to duplicating what Sportsman's Catering provided.

Yeah...I can't see too many people wanting to run a part-time seasonal business like that. I mean think of the hours. I don't remember what times he opened and closed but figure Friday night late until Sunday maybe mid-day and Tuesday night late until mid-day Wednesday. And then the BS you'd have to go through now just to sell a box of shells (background checks) and to be a DFW "license agent". I also can't see someone that wants to hunt running it either because you wouldn't be able to run the place and go out hunting at the same time. And add to that, unless you want a long commute to work, where you'd have to choose from to live to be fairly close to the place. Not really the garden spot of the state. Maybe someone would want to just do a catering truck to supply food and drink but I'm not so sure any more than that would be worth it.

Having put in my fair share of sleepless hours running that place & knowing all that my Grandpa put into it for over 40 years, it will take a special kind of person to step into that role.
Most on here only know Frank & Marilyn Bailey, who did a great job carrying on the service that Max started in 1965. It worked out well for the Bailey's but & they worked hard to make it profitable. Frank worked a full time job at IID & did most all of the ordering & dealing with the State, DFW & local entities (health dept., etc.) to keep things above board. Marilyn did a lot as well & made it possible for Frank to hunt when his work schedule allowed. Living in Niland made it a convenient commute but as you all know, the hours worked weren't much to be desired.
Contrast that with my Grandpa. He was the City Clerk of San Clemente until he retired in 1985. So for 20 years he saved up all his vacation time & took off every Friday of the season & picked up supplies on his drive over from San Clemente. He would open up around 6:00pm, not sleep at all Friday night, close up when the last group got out, then he would rush out to hunt himself. He would hunt all day Saturday,, work again til 11:00, get a few hours sleep then open up again at 2:30 am Sunday, hunt again & drive home Sunday night. It's a miracle he never fell asleep & drove off the road. For many years a lady from Niland, Aggie Reynolds, would work for him during the day on Saturdays & Sundays so he could hunt. She would actually come in early if needed around 4:30 or 5:00 so Max could have time to out oit decoys & build a blind like we all do. Because he couldn't make it during the week due to his City Clerk job, Aggie would open up Tuesday night, work till 10:30 or 11:00, then come back to open on Wednesdays at 2:30 am & work all day. It was only after Max retired that he moved down there for the entire season & was then able to hunt on Wednesdays. He still commuted from San Clemente & later from Vista, until he chose to be down there for most of the season. He had other women work the dsy shift over the years so he could hunt. Whenever I came down, we would work as a team. He appreciated not doing it all by himself & especially as he got older & it got harder for him, I worked longer & he got to sleep more. But, I couldn't make it as often as I used to & eventually it got to hard for him & that when he was able to sell it to The Bailey's.

Its not going to be the same without it & I hope that rare person can step in & make it happen again. Food trucks could help with supplying food & drinks but there will be a big hole in not having the convenience of purchasing refuge passes, ammo, & most any other hunting supplies you would need to hunt out there. All of that & the loss of these smiling faces (couldn't find a pic of Frank) who served so many not because they were there to make a buck, but because they truly loved the sport of waterfowling & the comaraderie comes with it.
20200126_120817.jpg20150927_161546-1.jpg

Very well said and it will sure be missed. I never had the pleasure of meeting Max ( me being to young), but I do have the memories of grabbing a cup of coffee and a apple fritter from Frank or Marilyn. Also, Frank is great guy to hunt with and hope he makes it out this season.

Altho I don't duck hunt any more, I have fond memories of Wister and Max and his trailer. I go back to the days when the check in and lines were where the camping area is now. Of A, B and C ponds and the goose fields, hot coffee, hot chocolate and friendly advice.
Things change, I hope for the best.

Matt very good information on how you granddad did this. He was truly a special person. The amount of time it takes to run something like that is not going to be easy to be replaced. People won't realize how special it was until they are in need

First of all - this is one of my all time favorites: Good times in 2005

View attachment 46115
[/QUOTE]

I was there that year when Max started this up. I was a kid with a license and ready to hunt. And over the years, it was my honor to get to know Max, and you and the family. I have written on other web sites about many times spent at Wister. The sportsman's catering business was a God Send to so many hunters, and especially kids.

I am blessed to have started my hunting 'career' at Wister...and be served by your wonderful Grandpa.

Matt it was a pleasure to hunt with Max several times, he always had a smile on his face like the one in the pic. I'll miss the bacon & egg sandwiches even if the microwave didn't heat evenly all the time. The check station won't be the same without it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu