Non Lead Turkey shells

Nathaniel Saludares

Oct 30, 2017
I've been looking for some Non lead turkey shells for 3 in or 2 3/4. Most of the shells I've found are copper plated or super expensive. I'd like to know what other people use.

You need to spend the money on the shells.... If you get the chance at a TOM and the shell doesn't
preform you will kick yourself.

Reactions: 2dogs1name
Normally any ammo is good. Big names such as federal is good. In my case, the thing thats not good is the shooter. There are other issues as well such as barrel length, chokes used, type and number of shots, wad construction, etc. but all that is chosen by ....the shooter.

What ever you decide, buy a few boxes so that you can know your shot pattern at distances.

I am a bow hunter, and I've never understood why people spend a lot of money on everything beside the actual thing that is going to take down the game. You've spent 1k plus on stuff I'm sure. Might as well spend an extra 3$ on shells that'll do the job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
It will not be easy finding non lead turkey loads after the shipping ban Jan 1st.....I am asking Turner's to carry more loads.....Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga has some.

I shoot Hevi-Shot in either 3" or 3 1/2" number 5's, 6's, or blend......Like others have said, when the moment of truth happens, don't short change yourself by shooting steel duck or goose loads.

You'll probably need a turkey choke too.....Although with Hevi-Shot, it's not as necessary IMO.

It will not be easy finding non lead turkey loads after the shipping ban Jan 1st.....I am asking Turner's to carry more loads.....Bass Pro in Rancho Cucamonga has some.

I shoot Hevi-Shot in either 3" or 3 1/2" number 5's, 6's, or blend......Like others have said, when the moment of truth happens, don't short change yourself by shooting steel duck or goose loads.

You'll probably need a turkey choke too.....Although with Hevi-Shot, it's not as necessary IMO.

Whatever you do don't buy them when you are on an out of state hunt and try and bring them back into CA after Jan 1 2018. I heard they have Ammo sniffing dogs that can tell where ammo was purchased. They trained them to smell for freedom. They come from Nancy Pelosi's puppy mill.
dtom.png

Black Cloud #4 loads will do the trick. Took a tom last spring at 40 yards, lights out.

C
Black Cloud #4 loads will do the trick. Took a tom last spring at 40 yards, lights out.

Congrats......But you are the exception IMO.....I know of at least 3 birds lost last year from shooting steel.....Anything will kill them, if they're close.....Although, 40 yds is not considered close.

Shooting a turkey for most is a once a season opportunity.....Why would you low ball on basically, the most important part of the hunt?.....The finish.

Spend the money and pattern some loads. Go with the best for your gun.

You will spend way more on gas scouting for those birds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Walking up to the bird, it did seem like a miracle shot. Luckily, one of the pellets got him straight in the neck. At the time, it was really hard finding non lead in local stores. It did pattern than other loads in my gun so it seemed like the best option. Hope you guys are out there killing some fall turkeys!

Now is the time to start looking for turkey loads.....Maybe if you suggest to your favorite store, they will carry some.....I am going to try and get a sporting good or gun shop at the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up Feb. 17th (tentative date).....We also have a place at the tune-up to pattern your gun under conditions that are similar to turkey hunting.

We are also suggesting not shooting fall turkeys here in San Diego Co.....Where are birds are still trying to recover.

.003.JPG 010.JPG 023.JPG

Now is the time to start looking for turkey loads.....Maybe if you suggest to your favorite store, they will carry some.....I am going to try and get a sporting good or gun shop at the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-up Feb. 17th (tentative date).....We also have a place at the tune-up to pattern your gun under conditions that are similar to turkey hunting.

We are also suggesting not shooting fall turkeys here in San Diego Co.....Where are birds are still trying to recover.

.View attachment 33711 View attachment 33712 View attachment 33713
Do you need to be a member for this?

Do you need to be a member for this?

No ($10.00 to attend)....But if you're going to hunt on San Diego city property (turkey hunt drawing), you must be a member of NWTF......It's our insurance that covers you.

ps.....If you turkey hunt, should be a member anyway.....Just like duck hunters should belong to CWA.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu