Noobs: Start Here!

I like the sound of the Imperial Valley, I decided to drive down there this weekend and get familiar with the area and look for land that isn't posted. Is five months before season opener too early to be doing this?

I would try my hand at Eurasian collared-dove, but not sure I can tell the difference. I may just bring the binoculars.

Zak,

Telling a Euro from a mourning dove is fairly easy....Telling a young Euro from a white-wing is more difficult...Any time is a good time to scout...Find green wheat that will be brown by Sept 1....Land in Imperial doesn't necessarily have to be posted (obviously, if it is don't trespass)...The unwritten rule in the IV is, if it's not a row crop (cabbage, lettuce, sugar beets. etc.) it can be hunted....Pay close attention to the 150 yd rule from any dwelling, outbuilding, or barn....Also, there's a 50 yd from any named road (county & state) in the IV....Not enforced much, but it's there....Check out Imperial W.A. (Wister & Finney-Ramer units)….Have fun and good luck.

.002.JPGIMG_4061.JPG006.JPGdove opener 9-1-11 029.JPG

ilovesprig,

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty excited to get out there for the first time. Here are some pictures of the different doves that I found online and put side by side, does the ringed turtle-dove really look this identical to the Euro? I want to make sure I have accurate pictures before I commit them to memory.

Doves.jpg

Chinese spotted doves were released into LA County many years ago...And became quite common in the surrounding areas (I was raised in LB)….Then IMO, crows that weren't that common, infiltrated the cities and the doves disappeared (along with many other song birds).

Ringed turtle doves are very much a domestic dove and would be hard to tell the difference.

Last edited:
ilovesprig,

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty excited to get out there for the first time. Here are some pictures of the different doves that I found online and put side by side, does the ringed turtle-dove really look this identical to the Euro? I want to make sure I have accurate pictures before I commit them to memory.

View attachment 38980

Zak,

I'll be making a few trips after turkey is done. Let me know if you wanna roll to check out some spots. Always had the best shoots when the temps are hot.

Reactions: Zak and ilovesprig
Just got back from IV for my first scouting trip, land was everywhere but I was surprised that I didn't see any signs that prohibited hunting or trespassing. The valley is also pretty big, so I'll need to make more trips and probably reserve a room next time. I saw lots of birds but I was clueless on how to identify them. I pretty much just drove around the area and made some waypoints on my GPS of land that looked promising.

I also discovered the date shakes in Westmorland, delicious!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Just got back from IV for my first scouting trip, land was everywhere but I was surprised that I didn't see any signs that prohibited hunting or trespassing. The valley is also pretty big, so I'll need to make more trips and probably reserve a room next time. I saw lots of birds but I was clueless on how to identify them. I pretty much just drove around the area and made some waypoints on my GPS of land that looked promising.

I also discovered the date shakes in Westmorland, delicious!

This is what I meant by not posting lands in the IV....Again, the UNWRITTEN rule is, if it's not a row crop (or posted) you're good to go on hunting it.

ps....The law says for trespassing, fenced, cultivated, or posted (no less than 3 signs to the mile).

I have been in a field hunting dove and people drove up and posted the field. Kicked us out. Then they had a group of hunters come in and hunt that same field.
This is common in IV. I like to find small chunks of land in between fields in tree lines. I have a lot more success not getting hassled in these situations. Problem is a lot of jerks go down and ruin it for the rest of us. Pick up your shells, respect the farmers, keep your dogs out of row crops, and well just don’t be jerk.

Chinese spotted doves were released into LA County many years ago...And became quite common in the surrounding areas (I was raised in LB)….Then IMO, crows that weren't that common, infiltrated the cities and the doves disappeared (along with many other song birds).

Ringed turtle doves are very much a domestic dove and would be hard to tell the difference.

Whoa!... how to tell the difference 'tween ECD's the Ringed Turtle Dove in the field?

What's the key feature to differentiate?

Don't want any trouble.

'dog,

There are virtually no ringed necked doves (except ECD's) in the wild here...Don't worry about it.....:blush:

ps....There's a number of different species of ringed/collared doves in the world.

Ok, Phew.. yeah.. I thought they all looked like the ECD's.

I had it programmed in my head, "The ring means No Limit". So when that picture collage showed that other ringed species I was like Uh-Oh.

So thank you. Good to know we're still a "Go". :)

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu