Noobs: Start Here!

Hi everyone im looking for a hunting partner. im not new to the sight or to socal hunting. I really like shooting deer from the road i just dont like having to hike. I dont like poison oak or getting blood on my hands so if u guys can take me to your honey hole that would be great. I dont chip in for gas though. I dont have a gun either just a bb gun. Is it legal to hunt deer with a bb gun. Im a class a sniper on my xbox so i can show u how to shoot if u need the help. I dont drag deer or help clean so ur on ur own with that. Other then that i make a great hunting pal.

In mentioning BLM maps I have a caution. In having a nice long conversation with a BLM land director he pointed out that they DO NOT guarantee the accuracy of their maps. So err on the side of caution when edging close to boundaries. He told me to make sure I am carrying a GPS and the map. Proclaim idiocy and usually you will be forgiven.

Thanks for the heads up for a new guy in Hunting. I own and build forums for clubs and other organizations.(PHPBB3, SMF, V BULLITIN) If more people followed some common sense and common respect simple rules there would be a lot less flaming and a lot more happy posters on the forums...Thanks again. Matt in Apple Valley
:)

Hi,
My name is Scott, new to so cal grew up in Virginia. Ready to get back into it.

Welcome aboard Scott. Very different out here than back east; much more emphasis on glass and shoe leather.
What sort of hunting are you into?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard Scott. Very different out here than back east; much more emphasis on glass and shoe leather.
What sort of hunting are you into?

Thanks Bonejour. Lots of whitetail back east and turkey. I have a lot of research to do. Totally lost out here.

Welcome to SCH.......Lots of good threats about whatever you want to hunt here in Cali.

Last edited:
+1
Lots of great threads to answer most questions about hunting here. It is a totally different world out here than in VA. The threads are easy to search. If you can't find something, just ask.

Thanks everyone, just need to study some maps and maybe find a hunting partner that knows the area. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hello
Scott here
wanted to get into hunting Jack Rabbits and Turkeys. Can anyone comment about Cleveland National Park?

Welcome Scott.....It's the Cleveland National Forest......Big difference from a national park.

Turkey Tune-Up is at Lake Sutherland Feb. 18th......I suggest you attend this event.

Hello
Scott here
wanted to get into hunting Jack Rabbits and Turkeys. Can anyone comment about Cleveland National Park?
Welcome. Cleveland Nat'l Forest has both jackrabbits and turkey, although turkey numbers are down and jacks are better hunted in the desert environs (usually BLM land). I see jacks in some CNF spots but they are often nocturnal and hide pretty well in the thick brush.

Thank You.
I've been searching Google for BLM lands near here, seems that a lot of land is being bought up.

Thank You.
I've been searching Google for BLM lands near here, seems that a lot of land is being bought up.

Welcome to the forum Scott. BLM and National Forest lands vary a little due to leases, but not much; and none of CNF or the El Cajon Region of BLM had been sold recently, to my knowledge. Anyway you wouldn't see it on Google maps. Can you explain what you mean?

Every where I looked on Google highlights land as "Private" and I have read that the Federal Gov is buying up state BLM land. Ill try and find that article and post it.

BLM is a federal agency, under the Dept of Interior. It is not within states' jurisdiction to sell any BLM land, and in any event they couldn't sell it to the Feds. My advice is to get yourself some maps of CNF and southern cal BLM (El Cajon region if you are in San Diego), and go for a hike. Online sources are great for planning but even if you cache a map to use on your phone in the field, paper is a good backup to have in case you lose power. CNF maps are available at ranger stations and BLM maps are available online. If you want, you can search previous threads on how to access them. Hope this helps.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu