NWTF San Diego Lake Sutherland Hunt

JFF

Mar 31, 2016
San Diego
After years of attending I was finally drawn for the National Wild Turkey Federation Spring Turkey Tune-Up. The first year I went without a partner, I was drawn. Which led me to believe my hunting partner is bad luck. :) I selected the Camp Hope area and hunted Wednesday, March 30th. With not ever seeing any turkey on public land where i go and not having any free time to scout this year, I was counting on this hunt to get a chance of a lifetime. However, it didn't go that way for me.

The hunt is at Lake Sutherland on private property. I knew it wasn't going to be easy but thought I'd have a better chance than usual at a turkey. Especially with my lack of calling skills and not so great decoy. Showed up bright and early. A brief orientation on rules and boundaries. Then we were off to our designated area. Not knowing the area well I took asked for tips and did what I was told.

It was well before sunrise and dark as night. I parked, grabbed my gear and hiked to an area I thought was good. When the sun began to rise I started to hear my first gobbles. First bird talk I've ever heard in person. The great thing about this hunt was I generally knew where the hunters were at. So I knew this was as actual bird and not another hunt with some amazing calling skills. I was excited and thought I finally have a genuine chance. Well... After a few more gobbles and no real response to my calls and decoys, the gobbling ended. I sat and called every so often. After a few hours of silence I decided to relocate. As I was hiking I scanned the area with my binos. In the distance I saw a hen coming down the hillside. With not much else going on, I decided to head her way to see if she'd lead me to the gobbler I heard earlier. After getting near and posting up again. A few calls and hours go by for nada. I headed back to my truck and drove the whole Camp Hope area to see if there were any signs. Saw a few deer and the beautiful landscape but no turkeys. I decided to call it a day after that. Headed out around 12 or 1.

Although the other group was far away, I'm pretty sure I would have still heard an echo'd gun shot. Which I didn't, so I'm guessing they didn't have any luck either.

Even though I didn't get a turkey, the fact that I heard a gobbler and actually saw a bird was more turkey "hunting" I've done to date. It was a great experience and I still had an awesome time just being out there. I'll be at next years Spring Turkey Tune-Up. Hell, I'll be at the Fall Tune-Up if it is held.

If there is anyone that won and picked Camp Hope, I was told there was a flock of hens with one tom that was at the beginning of the area. They come in from the hillside above and head down to grab a drink. As soon as you drive past the gate, park and set-up. Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1179.JPG
    IMG_1179.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1181.JPG
    IMG_1181.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 45
I've been up fishing there a bit there's a few toms up no big numbers this year. At least you saw birds. It's about the same everywhere I seriously doubt I would have killed a bird had it not been for the jr hunter age change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were at least 2 big toms and maybe 3 hanging in the Camp Hope site per Diane.....The best spot would've been right by the picnic area.....Here's a pic of the one gobbler I saw there right before the season.....Guys I've talked to have all seen turkeys. Just really tough getting them..... :p

Now that you've got the bug.....Get yourself a quality hen decoy, practice your calling, and hunt them as much as possible..... ;)

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    998.4 KB · Views: 48
:mad:

The playground is where I was told there was a flock there with a nice tom that headed down to the creek early in the morning. Could have been the same one I was hearing.

Any suggestions on a quality hen decoy?

Great write up. Theres truly something special about hearing the thunder of a gobble!

ilovesprig said:
There were at least 2 big toms and maybe 3 hanging in the Camp Hope site per Diane.....

According to my friend who's her grandson there's 3 he's seen.

JFF said:
:mad:

The playground is where I was told there was a flock there with a nice tom that headed down to the creek early in the morning. Could have been the same one I was hearing.

Any suggestions on a quality hen decoy?

I'm partial to DSD's (Dave Smith Decoys).....Deception Decoys are pretty good, and Avian X's are real nice. They're also a little less costly and are a little more mobile (deflate).

1st pic is DSD's jake & hen.....2nd pic new Deception hen (birthday present).

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    766.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    790.3 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the recommendations.

Looks like it's a toss between the Montana Decoy Co and Avian X's. Price is in the ball park.

I am not an expert Turkey hunter but one recommendation is to always stay the whole day. 80% of all turkeys I have gotten have been past 1pm. Early in the season the Toms are with the hens in the morning until they can skirt them, which is the time to start calling. I usually call around 9am for a little and lay off if I hear no gobbles. I pick it back up a couple hours later. My theory is that I call in the morning letting Tom know that there is hen needing some love where I am it. If he isn't pre-occupied he will call back and come in. If he is pre-occupied then he will make a mental note of where that hen is (me in this case) and will come my way when the his hens leave him. Usually (in my experience) the hens leave the Toms around 11 - 1. So me calling again around noon or 1 is a tactic that has worked very well for me. Note, there are times when the hens stay with the Tom all day and in that case some aggressive calls to draw the hens will work better. This is all based on past experience and in no way is it the best way; rather it is the way that has worked for me.

Moral of the story; the morning is always the best time to hunt turkeys. The morning is usually the best time to locate the turkeys since they are calling.

Moe Terboat said:
I am not an expert Turkey hunter but one recommendation is to always stay the whole day. 80% of all turkeys I have gotten have been past 1pm. Early in the season the Toms are with the hens in the morning until they can skirt them, which is the time to start calling. I usually call around 9am for a little and lay off if I hear no gobbles. I pick it back up a couple hours later. My theory is that I call in the morning letting Tom know that there is hen needing some love where I am it. If he isn't pre-occupied he will call back and come in. If he is pre-occupied then he will make a mental note of where that hen is (me in this case) and will come my way when the his hens leave him. Usually (in my experience) the hens leave the Toms around 11 - 1. So me calling again around noon or 1 is a tactic that has worked very well for me. Note, there are times when the hens stay with the Tom all day and in that case some aggressive calls to draw the hens will work better. This is all based on past experience and in no way is it the best way; rather it is the way that has worked for me.

Moral of the story; the morning is always the best time to hunt turkeys. The morning is usually the best time to locate the turkeys since they are calling.

Sound advice, Cory

X2 on the above comments. I don't hunt turkeys much(only to help others) but I live and work where they are and have seen this many times. Set up a good comfortable blind seat, Stay put, call once and awhile (practice calling at home), bring some snacks and enjoy a casual day of relaxation and rest. No guarantees but that's how I have seen it done best.

Sure wish I would have joined the forum and inquired prior to heading out. I also recently went through some of the Turkey Hunting Basics forum as well. All tools I will use for this and future seasons. Now it's a matter of practicing calling and knowing which call to use when appropriate.

I also realized a good comfortable seat will be my next purchase. Realized it the last hunt and read that in the hunting basics forum. For a bigger guy like myself, it is a vital item to have. That could be one of the reasons why that gobbler in the morning stayed clear. My big ass may have been moving too much and was noticed.

Thanks so much for the post. I was blessed enough to get drawn at the event and I'm up next to try out the same area. My hunting partner has never been turkey hunting so I'll try to call them out for him. First time out scouting there I found tracks towards the beginning and middle of the trail so the front seems to be the consistent thing. Hope they continue that way.
I didn't pay attention to the picnic area. I only opened my eyes after the fence. The playground seemed like an area with a lot of animal activity. Lots of crap(literally) around the playground. Is there livestock that roams the place? Also, do turkey follow natural trails when coming down hill?
Wish us luck, I'll post update after.

Skunk said:
Thanks so much for the post. I was blessed enough to get drawn at the event and I'm up next to try out the same area. My hunting partner has never been turkey hunting so I'll try to call them out for him. First time out scouting there I found tracks towards the beginning and middle of the trail so the front seems to be the consistent thing. Hope they continue that way.
I didn't pay attention to the picnic area. I only opened my eyes after the fence. The playground seemed like an area with a lot of animal activity. Lots of crap(literally) around the playground. Is there livestock that roams the place? Also, do turkey follow natural trails when coming down hill?
Wish us luck, I'll post update after.

.JFF,

A good turkey lounger is invaluable.....Believe it or not, I own like 5 of them. And the best of the lot is the Turkey Thugs brand from Wal-Mart......Also, the least expensive......You will have to order on line and have sent to your local store.

Skunk,

Yes, turkeys follow established game trails like most animals.....I would call sparingly, if at all (and very softly).....Hens are very quiet right now (jennys) and any aggressive calling is totally abrasive to most toms.....I would get as comfortable as possible, get blinded up, and camo'd the best as possible. Then watch the trails where you've seen tracks.....They can't smell. So, sit with your back to the sun. And if possible, in the shade of trees......Hunting turkeys right now is much more like deer hunting.....Watch & wait is probably your best technique......2 cents

ps.....Of course, be within 40 yds of any trail your watching....Be very careful of moving too....That's what they look for most.

Wishing you all the luck! So much that I drew a map of what happened on last Wednesday for me. Not sure how legible it'll be but hopefully it helps! (p.s. - probably wouldn't be this sharing on public land) 8)

Attachments

• Lake Sutherland - Google Maps.jpg
    Lake Sutherland - Google Maps.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 63
Man! This is like a guided hunt on private land... Lol
Point me to the path, give me instructions, hope I don't screw it up and pray the animals cooperate:)
Thanks so much for the intel. And boy, you are right, info like this only helps if you're lucky enough to get drawn. Much props to NWTF for putting it together.

JFF,

Outstanding gesture and info...........Hope to see some successful hunt pix..........Good luck.

ps.....Turkey Lounger.....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mossy-Oak-Turkey-Thugs-Turkey-Hunting-Chair/48745220

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu