NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up 2017

Lake Sutherland today.....Appears to have come up at least 4 or 5 vertical feet.....Remember the lake opens for fishing March 3rd.....Hunting starts March 25th.....You can't scout officially, but nothing says you can't fish AROUND the lake.....;)

.085.JPG 086.JPG

Reactions: Bonejour
Met with the city today.....Really good folks, that are totally behind the turkey hunting program.....The main reason I attended was to get the patterning station back.....They discussed it and gave us the OK.....What they asked of us is, to have hay bales, shoot into bank, and have a safety person there.....Covered.

What we're asking of the shooters.....Have you gun cased, no loading until your ready to shoot, and shoot the newly required non-toxic.

We will have turkey chairs there for guys or gals to sit in.....Also, if you have turkey targets, bring them.....We will have a few.

Look forward to seeing y'all.

.View attachment 29485

heres something you can print on your computer

.20170210_161842.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stevo,

If you could print a bunch of those, I'll pay you for them.....My printer is down.

ps.....Just standard size paper will be fine.

Well, it doesn't look like we're going to miss the rain (not the 1st time). And I know a little rain isn't going to stop a hunter....We've ordered two big tents. So, the show will go on.....Rain or shine.....:blush:

Hope to see many of you there.

.turkey tune-up  2011 001.old.JPG

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Come hell or high water, we're having the turkey tune-up.....The tents are up and I think we're prepared for a LITTLE wind & rain.....lol

ps.....Saw jakes and some nice strut marks in Camp Hope & the corral.

.042.JPG 045.JPG 031.JPG 040.JPG

Don't forget to bring your shotgun & NONLEAD turkey loads to pattern.

Steve & I will be working that booth so bring your guns and shoot on the forbidden land....Haha

Awesome! Looking forward to it! Trying to get my wife and 2 year old daughter to tag along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you newbies that want to know more about hunting in SoCal or meet like minded folks need to attend this event.....CNF, DFW, and many guys that know their stuff will be here.....Bring your maps, guns, and binos.....;)

Last edited:
Great event today guys! Met so many "like-minded" guys who all have the same highs and lows as we do when it comes to gobble hunting....no draw for me this year, but met my mentor @ilovesprig and got a hunting location tip from Jeff (Palomar Ranger Dist.)

The calls from this guy were amazing as well...

b5584fbd51be54c450b03fa133065d51.jpg

That guy is our very own Matagi (Gen).....And I'll say it again, the best caller in SoCal.

Scott,

Great meeting you today.....Truly a great turn-out.....383 paid customers.....Congrats to all that got drawn.....If there's anything I can do to help you.....Please let me know.

Mark (MJB),

Thank you so much for all your help today.....Great time in the shooting/patterning station.....It really does show what your gun will do.....Patterning also showed that a little gun (Benelli M-2, 20 gauge) can throw just as good a pattern as the cannons (3 1/2", boy do they kick.....lol).

.010.JPG 014.JPG 023.JPG

I was lucky enough to go on and get selected, 4/1 Browns Cove. I have a question on the location though, I guess its hunted on the side of the hill facing the corral, since I have seen its accessible with 4x4? Anyone have info on BC and can you hike back there to get a look?

It was a pretty cool event. Tanx everyone that assisted.

Oh yeah sprig, if my kid gets drawn for San Ysbel can we request a mentor?

I was lucky enough to go on and get selected, 4/1 Browns Cove. I have a question on the location though, I guess its hunted on the side of the hill facing the corral, since I have seen its accessible with 4x4? Anyone have info on BC and can you hike back there to get a look?

It was a pretty cool event. Tanx everyone that assisted.

Oh yeah sprig, if my kid gets drawn for San Ysbel can we request a mentor?

Congrats.....Every kid has a mentor/experienced turkey hunter with him (or her) and you.

Brown's Cove is accessed from road that takes you to The Corral.....Unfortunately, you're not allowed to drive or scout that area before your hunt.....I will try to get intel for you before your hunt.

That guy is our very own Matagi (Gen).....And I'll say it again, the best caller in SoCal.

Scott,

Great meeting you today.....Truly a great turn-out.....383 paid customers.....Congrats to all that got drawn.....If there's anything I can do to help you.....Please let me know.

Mark (MJB),

Thank you so much for all your help today.....Great time in the shooting/patterning station.....It really does show what your gun will do.....Patterning also showed that a little gun (Benelli M-2, 20 gauge) can throw just as good a pattern as the cannons (3 1/2", boy do they kick.....lol).

.View attachment 29657 View attachment 29658 View attachment 29659

Haha you're too nice Steve. I was beat yesterday so I wasn't on my A game. It was a amazing turn out and all the volunteers did an amazing job. I wish I could do a longer segment for calling and hunting techniques but honored to be there to share the little info I can provide. I used to "guide" the luckybhubters back in the day when they allowed NWTF board members to assist so if any lucky hunters need any tips please feel free to holler at me.

I was sorry to miss the event, but had a chance to join Mark (center mass) on a SHARE program hunt at Rush Ranch on Grizzly Island. Report will follow in another thread. Glad the event was successful, and was bummed to miss Gen's calling as well as the patterning. That's a great addition to the event! Thanks to all who volunteered and organized the event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Matagi
Don,

You probably would've just had an enjoyable day.....We had lots of help....The shooting gallery was fun.

Stevo (Steveo007).....Thanks for remembering the targets.....They were well used.

I'd also like to thank DFW for having 2 wardens on site to answer questions.....CNF reps to answer questions about the Cleveland including marking a few spots where they've seen turkeys before.

Renee.....It was great seeing & talking to you.....Nice to see The Bow & arrow Shop represented.

A huge thank you to the Kiwanis for bringing the food and drink.....Look forward to having you back next year.....The brats were killer.

Lastly, I would like to thank Diane, Matt, & AJ from the city lakes for all their help.....You were all great.....See you all March 3rd for the bass/lake opener.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu