NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up 2018

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
The date has been set for the 2018 STTU.....Feb. 17th, 2018.....The event will again be held at Lake Sutherland (rain or shine).....Event starts at 8:00 am.....Right now, I think we'll be having champion turkey caller Joe Slaton giving instruction and selling his Mother Lode calls.....They'll also be a raffle for a shotgun along with other turkey hunting stuff.....The money raised goes directly to our youth hunting and summer events.

Fish and Wildlife officers will also be attendance to ask questions too.....Cleveland NF employees will be there as well.

We'll have the shooting area available again this year.....Great place to pattern your turkey chokes and get shooting instruction.

More turkeys have been seen this year and with good carry over from last year, we're hoping for even more success on the 7 birds that were taken last year.

.turkey tune-up 2012 011.JPG

Reactions: SoCal 1904
Just picked up a bunch of turkey targets for guys wanting to pattern their shotguns.....Remember, we now have to use non lead.....So your old lead chokes may pattern totally different with Hevi-Shot, or another alternative shot shell (and there's not many)

ps.....Don't attempt to shoot steel thru a turkey extra full or heavily restricted choke tube.

Here's the flyer for the event.....Also our monthly meeting is tomorrow night (Poway Fillippi's Pizza, 6:00pm)....The main topic will be the tune-up, upcoming turkey season, and election of officers.....Hope to see some of you newbies there.

Attachments

• 2018 Spring Turkey Tune Up Flyer.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 34
Great turn-out for the meeting......Thanks to everyone that's putting something back into our sport.

The election was held and I'm the new president of the San Diego Chapter of NWTF.....If there's any questions about the upcoming events or just turkey hunting in general please feel free to call or PM me.

A added offering by Bass Pro Shops for the event.....$300.00 in gift cards from the Rancho Cucamonga store.....Thank you, BPS

Willow Creek has offered a bow and a 3D turkey target at their booth.....No cost just fill out a ticket.....Thanks Brett.

I really think this will be the best tune-up to date.....Gobble Gobble

.059.JPG

Last edited:
Steve... We’re very excited you’re the President! Unfortunately, Jack & I will miss the tune up... I have to work that day.
I am off 3/3 for the SY youth draw. Let me know if you need help that day. We’ll see you at the meeting at Filippi’s on 2/27.
Jack missed the SD youth pheasant hunt today... Broke his finger… Playing basketball.
0bcacaa62c2b0f0a6fde7d870394d41f.jpg

Phil,

No problem.....Hope Jack gets better.....If Jack would like to go to the tune-up, give me a call.....I'm sure we can get him a ride up.

See you at the meeting.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
I would like to bring my grandson to the Tuneup so he can enter the youth draw. After reading the handout instructions I am not sure if this is acceptable. The rules say a parent or legal guardian must accompany the youth. Do grandparents count?

I would like to bring my grandson to the Tuneup so he can enter the youth draw. After reading the handout instructions I am not sure if this is acceptable. The rules say a parent or legal guardian must accompany the youth. Do grandparents count?

Yes....He basically just needs a hunting partner.....Legal guardian would be his parents choice.....Don't forget about the youth turkey hunt at the Santa Ysabel Preserve.....That drawing is March 3rd at the Ramona Senior Ctr.....The youth hunts are March 24th & 25th.

Reactions: BBH
Yes....He basically just needs a hunting partner.....Legal guardian would be his parents choice.....Don't forget about the youth turkey hunt at the Santa Ysabel Preserve.....That drawing is March 3rd at the Ramona Senior Ctr.....The youth hunts are March 24th & 25th.

OK! Thank you for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to get a better understanding after looking at the flyer again ( since both of the guys i was going to bring with me flaked today), if i'm going to hunt with a partner, should i get lucky enough to get drawn, they would need to be there in order to register themselves? So i would be hunting alone correct?

Just to get a better understanding after looking at the flyer again ( since both of the guys i was going to bring with me flaked today), if i'm going to hunt with a partner, should i get lucky enough to get drawn, they would need to be there in order to register themselves? So i would be hunting alone correct?

That is correct.....I will check though to see, if you have their hunting license, ID, and pay for them, if that's OK.....Per the flyer, they must be present.....The city makes these rules.

One more thing.....If you're drawn, you must have CASH OR CHECK.....There's no service for Visa out there.

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
Thanks a ton Sprig for checking and clearing that up for me. I really appreciate it! Hopefully they can get that rule changed for next year.

And I’ve already got my checkbook sitting in my truck just Incase I need it, thanks! Looking forward to Saturday!

I like the rule......I was chosen by a guy I meet once at the SDJPH because he didn't know anybody but me at the event. Just another perk of being present at the event.

Reactions: Dawnandusk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu