Oklahoma adventure (pic heavy)

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
I spent the last week in northeastern OK visiting relatives and, well, mostly fishing, shooting, and dodging tornados. I have NEVER experienced weather like what went down last Tuesday. Over five inches of rain in a 12 hour period, thunder that sounded like guns going off, and tornado sirens going off in town. Over a dozen small tornados touched down in the county, fortunately none of the really big ones and no one died as far as I know.

Before and after the storm chaos we fished like crazy. Great bass fishing in multiple ponds and small lakes. My best was a 5-7 on a topwater lure called the Whopper Plopper. The Rat was also a very productive topwater bait. In between bass outings we caught and shot stuff for a wild game fish fry that included catfish, crappie, gar, frog legs and squirrel. It isn’t squirrel hunting season there, but this one was raiding my aunt’s backyard apple tree so it was a legal kill with the air rifle.

Saw lots of deer, Turkey, bobwhite quail, armadillos and coyotes while there. On other trips I’ve also seen beaver and musk rats. Lots of snakes, including one cottonmouth viper. If I ever retire and leave so cal, this might be the place, although the storms are gnarly!

03EA7CCF-2400-4040-AA5A-9A17ED695B3E.jpeg
8FEA1FC2-F449-4E8D-8E1E-E6534E121172.jpeg

C8843762-258D-4A93-ABF0-78C85D106E7E.jpeg

49A1EC91-B3D2-4EDF-A46A-88D085FC8188.jpeg

FBAB9607-2B74-48DA-B508-0C44FB161DC2.png

E3CB60D7-7B0C-457E-B453-B2E2AF591E25.png

4322B001-22E2-4B25-8238-9897CF9008A3.jpeg

0A59E910-215A-4AD2-8FF8-50DF19E52FE9.jpeg
Cottonmouth roadkill.
994CA8E5-CC03-4A5F-A718-6F50CCAB75F8.jpeg

0492BDAE-E81E-427B-BA8B-95379A0F61EC.jpeg

C329E1A5-2BA6-4C8C-8F5A-2AB292C31FAC.jpeg2F3A42F3-CB2B-48AE-8BCC-023005482143.jpeg

I didn’t want to make the post massively long so I left out this little detail, but check this out. Between my brother, pop and I we packed nine of our favorite fishing rods into a Bazooka rod caddy for traveling. Shimano, Falcon, Phoenix, good stuff. Having had tips broken before we prominently labeled “do not convey”, which should be self evident to baggage handlers anyway since it’s over 7 feet long.

042104FD-85FD-434B-8216-8DE5965A9BA8.jpeg
464A0C16-1244-4C04-A68E-2AE6797E4700.jpeg
When we arrived in Tulsa we discovered the tube was badly bent in the middle, with American Airlines security tape over the bend. Upon inspecting the contents, this is what we found:

D31704B7-93DD-4414-BC0C-352F085B0A0A.jpeg
Yes, some genius sent it through a conveyor and it snapped all nine rods in half. Then they taped it all up and sent it on it’s way. We were PISSED. After a lengthy discussion and photo session with the on site American staff at Tulsa International, American Airlines has promised to fully reimburse us for new rods and a new carrier. We immediately went to Bass Pro Shops in Broken Arrow and spent over $1,100 on seven new rods, with two more to pick up here in CA.

Attachments

• 04390C7B-EAB6-415D-993A-D7853B303D9F.jpeg
    04390C7B-EAB6-415D-993A-D7853B303D9F.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 8
Kevin,

I think these jack 0ffs do this on purpose....We had a airline approved hard gun caddy smashed like no other...And half the waterfowl accessories were missing inside.

ps...1st trip to Alberta our guns were in New York...They did show up before shoot time the next morning...lol

Reactions: WaterDawg
Kevin,

I think these jack 0ffs do this on purpose....We had a airline approved hard gun caddy smashed like no other...And half the waterfowl accessories were missing inside.

ps...1st trip to Alberta our guns were in New York...They did show up before shoot time the next morning...lol
I’ve shipped rods back there via FedX several times in a simple hard cardboard tube left over from my online purchases and never had problems. I’ve had rods damaged or broken by the commercial airlines three times now. This last one was the Coue de gras. From now on, I will be shipping them separately via FedX!

Reactions: ilovesprig
I used to work at Ontario airport some years ago. I didn’t work for an airline, but I did fuel the jets. I saw a LOT of packages purposely mistreated or broken. A lot of those guys think it’s funny. They don’t care and it rarely gets back to them.

As for Oklahoma, looks like y’all had sum fun! I got a really close friend that lives just outside of Vian. I’ve been to visit a couple times, and really enjoy it out there. If I didn’t love offshore fishing, and my wife had the day so, we’d be moving out there.

I used to work at Ontario airport some years ago. I didn’t work for an airline, but I did fuel the jets. I saw a LOT of packages purposely mistreated or broken. A lot of those guys think it’s funny. They don’t care and it rarely gets back to them.

As for Oklahoma, looks like y’all had sum fun! I got a really close friend that lives just outside of Vian. I’ve been to visit a couple times, and really enjoy it out there. If I didn’t love offshore fishing, and my wife had the day so, we’d be moving out there.
Messing up someone’s vacation by intentionally destroying their luggage is just plain mean. I’m not saying that’s what happened in my case, I can’t know, but geeeez.....it’s not rocket science or even basic geometry with a 7’ tube.

Messing up someone’s vacation by intentionally destroying their luggage is just plain mean. I’m not saying that’s what happened in my case, I can’t know, but geeeez.....it’s not rocket science or even basic geometry with a 7’ tube.

In many cases airport employees look just like carnies... they just have a permanent location for work.

Awesome pics. Glad you had a good time despite the donkeys at the airport.

No Turkey hunting?

The weather sure is more exciting as you get to middle America. This time of year we can sit out on our deck after the kids go to bed and watch lightning storms around us. It is great.

In many cases airport employees look just like carnies... they just have a permanent location for work.

Awesome pics. Glad you had a good time despite the donkeys at the airport.

No Turkey hunting?

The weather sure is more exciting as you get to middle America. This time of year we can sit out on our deck after the kids go to bed and watch lightning storms around us. It is great.
I’ve never hunted turkey and at this point in my life I cannot afford another hobby lol. We saw hens at some of the places we fished and I met one of the guys who planted/re-introduced the birds to this area around 25 years ago.

Looks like a great trip Kevin. Sucks about the rods, glad they agreed to cover the costs.

Spectacular time you had!!!
When you mentioned the rat lure I thought it was something else...
LOL!!!
It is a RAT!!! I would have never guessed.
Great pictures!!!
I know right? I thought it was a gimmick but my bro’ said it works so I bought one and holy smokes! This one is made by Spro and it’s action is creepy realistic with a steady knock sound caused by an inside bearing. I don’t know if the finesse-oriented bass here in CA will take it, but the Okie bass destroyed that rodent!

I know right? I thought it was a gimmick but my bro’ said it works so I bought one and holy smokes! This one is made by Spro and it’s action is creepy realistic with a steady knock sound caused by an inside bearing. I don’t know if the finesse-oriented bass here in CA will take it, but the Okie bass destroyed that rodent!

I’m not a bass guy, but I got a few buddies that like to pick on em. Each one of them has a rat/mouse lure in their box of tricks. They do work here.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu