Old Boy Down....4-11-18

Thanks Doug.....Osceola was my 1st thought too.

Falling down is a common occurrence these days........So far, I've been able to get back up........lol

Heading for San Carlos Indian Res tomorrow.....If it's any thing like New Mexico, it won't be like hunting on MCC.....lol
Your gonna see a lot of critters on San Carlos. Tons of stink pigs on the Res a few of my buddies hunt them every year. Good luck can’t wait for the picks of giant birds.

Thanks Drew....Like any other new place, we have done some homework and hope to find them sooner than later.....The internet and Google Earth are incredible tools.

Last edited:
Nice bird steve , how often you call the bird ?
I have some problems I call the birds every 20 or 30 min big gobblers come and stop 60 or 70 yds away and never come. jakes they come like a tank any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

Nice bird steve , how often you call the bird ?
I have some problems I call the birds every 20 or 30 min big gobblers come and stop 60 or 70 yds away and never come. jakes they come like a tank any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated .

ppb,

This bird actually came in silent, while I was calling to a different gobbler.....I knew the 1st bird was close. So, I had toned it down.....I was lucky.....If I had had that 1st bird further away, I might have been cranking on a box call.....And that means I would've been using a lot of movement and not paying as much attention to my flanks.....Since, I was calling soft and with my diaphragm....I was able to pick up he was coming in from the side.

Are you using decoys?.....Jake & hen?.....Hen only?.....If you are, they may be hung up on that.....Try to position yourself, so when they get to a point where they know there's no hen....They're in range.

Every gobbler is different.....If they're really hot & dominant.....Just about nothing will stop them (especially 2 year olds).....If they're old and wise.....They want the hen to come to them.....If they see a single hen, they'll want her to move.....If a jake's with her.....He'll probably come into battle.

I know this season, I've quit using decoys.

Steve another question for you. When you go to a spot and use a locator call, are YOU blowing it only in the dark, or are you using it during daylight also?

I use all weekend 2 hen and 1 jake not gobbling to much on the mornings, I see to longbeards at 10 am 200 yds away they come with 7 hens , I call several times with diferent calls , they never answer , so I try de gobbler shake and they answer me 3 times, but never come.

next day I got this guys alone and 100 yds but never come or answer.
Low weekend on my place .
Thank you so much for the info steve.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu