Old Pic of first deer 1971

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
hahahaha we started out as group of (3) my ex brother in law walked off to the left. went to do his thing. I walked behind my grama evie. she was like in her late sixties at the time. as we where walking up a fire trail. I heard this ruckus behind me. I turned around and this forked horn buck was surprised or startled that I was there. hahaha, so we stood there staring each other. I was F N green. I could not shoot because it would have been the same direction as my brother in law. hahahaha so there we stood staring at each other. I tried calling to my grama evie. so the little buck decided to haul ass.
while in mid air I took a shot before he could disappear behind the trees. and it was safe to shoot cause In just two strides he was in the safety zone to shoot. My gramma Evie was asking what I shooting at . and I said a deer. so we walked up where I had last seen the deer. I was walking in circle in the last place I saw it. but no deer. hahahaha Like I said I was green. She walked over approximately 50 feet from where I was at and said is this the deer. with a big smile on her face.
hahahaha I was walking around within 10 feet like a dummy. hahaha. I had made a lucky shot through the neck while in it was jumping in mid air, and instantly killed the buck.. I would never try that now but no had said not to do that. hahahaha this my first buck I killed in 1971 Samagatuma Ranch. I was 16 years old. hahahaha I will never forget that one. ;D

Attachments

• Deer1971crop.JPG
    Deer1971crop.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 92
Reactions: Goyaałé
Dude is someone carrying that buck on there shoulders????

stikbrandon said:
Dude is someone carrying that buck on there shoulders????

Yes That was my brother in law but for some reason mom was pissed at him and cut half the picture. long story. He was was more than a brother to me. he was also my best friend & hunting partner,at the time. He was a two time vietnam combat vet. he was in the midst of the tough fighting during late end of the war. He was a bad ass mofo. twice my size. but he and my sister had a falling out. probably part of PTSD.
he was the national champ in southern california for motorcycle flat track (TT) before he was drafted. he was trying to get me into the sport. but hahahaha I was not dare devil enough.
I wish I had the entire picture. was not for him I would be in more trouble today. he was definitely a big part in life why I got into Hunting & fishing.

awesome story, yup them big brothers come handy in more ways than one can think. what rifle where you shooting back then?

ivhunter said:
awesome story, yup them big brothers come handy in more ways than one can think. what rifle where you shooting back then?

Mossberg Model 800A , 308 Winchester , adjustable rear peep sight. with standard front sight.
barrel was modified to 18" long by the previous owner. but I could shoot with with up to 300 yards with peep sight. I had 20/30 vision back then hahahaha, now I getting blind as a bat. hahahaha it is still a great bush gun. because it was easy to maneuver. it now a has a Bushnell trophy 3-9 x 40mm. still a great gun. hahaha. I still use it.

Great story, pic, and follow-up...........Thanks for sharing............10

ps.........Love those running shots........I got my 1st buck in a similar fashion.......... ;)

hahaha where is my manners, thank you every one (LP. Stik, Bone, IV, sprig.)
for the kind replies. the deer in that ranch was awesome. only if I knew then what I know now.
hahahaha big monsters in there. well I thought it was funny how that scenario happened.
sometimes you don't know what you got until it's gone. very very good memories there.

Thanks for the story Ghost. Cool pic too. And thank goodness for people in our life like Grandma Evie!

Great memories...

Thank you for the kind replies NBK & Gteam

Grama Evie was the best I miss her dearly. hahahaha She could out fish, & hunt me.
she was very talented woman.

Ghost said:
hahahaha we started out as group of (3) my ex brother in law walked off to the left. went to do his thing. I walked behind my grama evie. she was like in her late sixties at the time. as we where walking up a fire trail. I heard this ruckus behind me. I turned around and this forked horn buck was surprised or startled that I was there. hahaha, so we stood there staring each other. I was F N green. I could not shoot because it would have been the same direction as my brother in law. hahahaha so there we stood staring at each other. I tried calling to my grama evie. so the little buck decided to haul ass.
while in mid air I took a shot before he could disappear behind the trees. and it was safe to shoot cause In just two strides he was in the safety zone to shoot. My gramma Evie was asking what I shooting at . and I said a deer. so we walked up where I had last seen the deer. I was walking in circle in the last place I saw it. but no deer. hahahaha Like I said I was green. She walked over approximately 50 feet from where I was at and said is this the deer. with a big smile on her face.
hahahaha I was walking around within 10 feet like a dummy. hahaha. I had made a lucky shot through the neck while in it was jumping in mid air, and instantly killed the buck.. I would never try that now but no had said not to do that. hahahaha this my first buck I killed in 1971 Samagatuma Ranch. I was 16 years old. hahahaha I will never forget that one. ;D

I used to hunt the Samagatume Ranch back then, we camped past the house a little ways under a bunch of oak trees. We got a few nice bucks off that ranch. I also raced motor cycles, started in about 1967, was # 3 250 expert in the desert in 1969 many good memories of that ranch

Thanks for posting this. Although this is a one of a kind story, and a great story by the way, I think it takes us all back to our first experiences. It's good to go down memory lane every now and then.

BamaDJ said:
Thanks for posting this. Although this is a one of a kind story, and a great story by the way, I think it takes us all back to our first experiences. It's good to go down memory lane every now and then.

Thanks. I appreciate the reply

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu