Old Shotguns in the Duck Blind

I sure do. Every season I take out at least once my grandfathers Ithaca model 37 he gave me before he passed in 1975 that he purchased in 1941 and hunted with all those years. Poly chokes were popular in those days and of course the gun has that. It is a battle scared gun from many years of duck hunting San Diego Bay. I treasure the memories of being with him every season and that gun has become my connection with him. Thanks to bismuth those old guns are still viable

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Erin,

The steel in that Rem 870 is solid...The key factor would be the choke...If it's modified, you can shoot steel or anything else you like...If it's full...Don't shoot steel...Bismuth would be your shells to purchase.

ps...I have shot my old Rem 11-47 many times with steel.

Erin,

The steel in that Rem 870 is solid...The key factor would be the choke...If it's modified, you can shoot steel or anything else you like...If it's full...Don't shoot steel...Bismuth would be your shells to purchase.

ps...I have shot my old Rem 11-47 many times with steel.
I checked last night and the barrel says modified, so I’m good to go. Now I just have to get some shells and take it out for some clays. The last few years I haven't practiced on clays during the offseason, I'm not making that mistake again!

Reactions: ilovesprig
I sure do. Every season I take out at least once my grandfathers Ithaca model 37 he gave me before he passed in 1975 that he purchased in 1941 and hunted with all those years. Poly chokes were popular in those days and of course the gun has that. It is a battle scared gun from many years of duck hunting San Diego Bay. I treasure the memories of being with him every season and that gun has become my connection with him. Thanks to bismuth those old guns are still viable

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That gun sounds like a treasure for sure, that's a great story!

Reactions: 2duckhunter4
I used to hunt ducks in the good old lead shot days with a Remington 870 that is probably getting around 60 years old now. I do still use it for dove but retired it from duck hunting when we had to go to steel since it's a 2 3/4". On my first duck hunt ever I borrowed a friend's Winchester 1897. At the time it was probably between 50 and 60 years old. Bagged my first duck and first goose with that gun. I'm guessing at the age of that 1897 by it's condition at the time since they made them from 1897 until 1957. That shotgun would probably be approaching 95 - 100 years old now.

I hunt with a 40 year old Browning Auto 5 mag 12 on the regular. Not sure if that qualifies lol. It's no museum piece but it do feel bad dragging it around the sea.

I used to hunt ducks in the good old lead shot days with a Remington 870 that is probably getting around 60 years old now. I do still use it for dove but retired it from duck hunting when we had to go to steel since it's a 2 3/4". On my first duck hunt ever I borrowed a friend's Winchester 1897. At the time it was probably between 50 and 60 years old. Bagged my first duck and first goose with that gun. I'm guessing at the age of that 1897 by it's condition at the time since they made them from 1897 until 1957. That shotgun would probably be approaching 95 - 100 years old now.
Very cool!

I hunt with a 40 year old Browning Auto 5 mag 12 on the regular. Not sure if that qualifies lol. It's no museum piece but it do feel bad dragging it around the sea.
My dad has an old A5 too, he cracked the forearm a few years ago, he’s been meaning to get a new forearm for it. My duck gun the last few years has been my dad’s 1100 that’s about 30 years old. We put shadow grass tape on it. That was his duck gun for a while before he got a beretta.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu