Onx VS Gohunt or Huntinfool

Wildgame

Feb 11, 2019
The time has come for me to start exploring out-of-state hunts. No matter how hard I tried I just can't keep it together. There is just too much info about hunting in other states especially if you don't have one specific state to focus on.

I have the CA ONx map and I was thinking to upgrade to the Elite version to start looking into out-of-state hunting areas and they might look like, but that is just not enough to decide what state to apply for.
I understand Gohunt also has mapping and some memberships include information about Out of state hunts, odds, zones and such.

I am trying to understand if I should drop ONx and get a membership to Gohunt where I would have access to mapping, out-of-state hunts info, all in one membership if there is even such a thing.

I keep missing the draw deadlines for out-of-state not because I don't have the actual dates but rather because I have no clue what is even worth applying for and where, since I have 0 points in other states other than 1 in Utah.

For folks who hunt out of state what do you use to help you decide where to apply?

Thanks.

Get a subscription to epic outdoors, they put out a magazine that shows all upcoming hunt deadlines and info about each unit and success odds as well possible trophy quality . They also offer a service where you can talk with them about your goals and they will help direct you as to what hunt might be a good fit for you.

I use GoHunt and ditched OnX. It's a great deal for $150. There are discount codes out there floating around. I also have Basemap for $29 it's a no-brainer to have a backup.

I'd bet if you bite the bullet and use Epic + GoHunt it would go a LONG way towards helping you be successful. That $300ish is the same price as your OnX + 1-2 tanks of fuel. When you think about the time and effort saved, it's a bargain.

You can always keep the Gohunt maps only for like $50 a year which includes all states and drop the others after a year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildgame
I like the mapping onX offer to that of goHunt, especially while in the field out of cell service. However, the additional features offered by go Hunt are amazing... out of state data, discounts, and points.

I imported all the deadlines into my personal calendar and a few days before each deadline I do copious research on GoHunt/Huntin Fool/TopRut/online research to determine whether it's worth the money. An Onx Elite membership includes access to the Huntin' Fool eMagazine, I typically download the pdf and read it on my eReader.

GoHUNT just dropped a video showing how to transfer waypoints in their YouTube channel from OnX. It took all of 1min.

Their channel has tons of great info even if you don’t use their service. E-scouting, tactics, pack loads and gear for different hunts…. All that stuff.

Reactions: DoubleTrouble

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu