Opener 19'

That’s ‘cuse YOU were at “another SoCal “ refuge . . Old Quack 49

Some of the best 'fowlers I know blanked at Wister...I also heard the check-in was a cluster f*ck...The poor kid apparently working the window did not know some of the rules...He was probably undertrained and not prepared for the onslaught that is Wister check-in on opening day... :D

Reactions: Loosenutswelding
Success in my area was wide ranging.. some guys had full straps with a couple greenheads and spoons, some blanked, and most were in my range with a medium mix of teal.

Recap of the morning for me... flyoff was decent with almost all teal coming out of the tules fast. Dropped 3 early that decoyed up then things got a bit slow for an hour with onesies/twosies passing by. Around 7:30 a big flight of spoons came out of the tules and guys were putting shots high and far. I got my chance at a nice group but of course I whiffed at the drakes and only tagged the trailing hen. After that I bagged one more decoying teal and then missed a few more before things shut off completely at 8:30.

And a funny thing to remind me it's opener on public land... sometime around 7 a pair of mallards were circling and you hear about a million hail calls start up.. then someone down the way sends a couple shots in the air while the pair was still about 100 yards up, and guys start yelling "dammit let em work!" Lol. Fun times.

Some of the best 'fowlers I know blanked at Wister...I also heard the check-in was a cluster f*ck...The poor kid apparently working the window did not know some of the rules...He was probably undertrained and not prepared for the onslaught that is Wister check-in on opening day... :D
Nothing prepares a new hire for a Wister Opening Day but management could and should train them and have everyone available to process the guys . Lots of newbie hunters and counter guys is a recipe for long wait times and unhappy people. Not sure why management doesn’t anticipate that ? Hopefully things smooth out and water fills with ducks splashing soon . Old Quack 49

Reactions: Loosenutswelding
Buddy has a resi for Wednesday, what ponds were full and what should we stay away from?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu