• 20150328_080645.jpg
    20150328_080645.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 60
Chadwick said:
Can you hunt down where they were?

I wish Chad , most publicland hunting is trying to call birds
across the property line with yhe onxmap i got as close as i could
About 250 yards up the hill

Yep I had a similar frustrating day. Hiking out to where we planned to setup, my buddy and I heard a faint gobble back where I shot one a couple years back, so we changed our plan to setup closer to the roosted tom. It was well before dawn and he was gobbling pretty strong so I hit the box call and he was into it, returning gobbles for about half an hour or so. Thought we were in business. Then all of a sudden he went silent, so we were hopeful he was dropping down to come in, except he disappeared and never heard/saw him again. Bummer! The rest of the day we didn't see much of anything except a hen that flushed out of the brush like a pheasant. Sat out there for the rest of the day in the heat, keeping somewhat near the hen in case she brought some boys around, but that never happened. Didn't even see any jakes either. I'll try again this week...

It wasn't only public land that had the blues......Very tough on MCC and even my best private stuff.

ps......And have I told you I don't like bow hunting poachers?.......This morning after not hearing even a gobble, I went over to talk to a new owner that I've had permission on the property in the past (the new owner had already said I would be able to continue to hunt) .....He told me he no longer would allow me to hunt because some guy jumped his fenced shot and hit a turkey then proceeded to chase it around on the neighbors property....And I quote...."This really turned me off to hunters"....... :mad:.......A lot of kids had got birds here....... ???

Stevo,

What's weird is I saw a guy driving out of this area opening day and thought he was a "hunter" because he had camo on (I've never seen another hunter in this spot)......Later on down at santa Ysabel. We saw him again and he had a big Bowtech sticker on the back of his truck...... ::)

ilovesprig said:
It wasn't only public land that had the blues......Very tough on MCC and even my best private stuff.

ps......And have I told you I don't like bow hunting poachers?.......This morning after not hearing even a gobble, I went over to talk to a new owner that I've had permission on the property in the past (the new owner had already said I would be able to continue to hunt) .....He told me he no longer would allow me to hunt because some guy jumped his fenced shot and hit a turkey then proceeded to chase it around on the neighbors property....And I quote...."This really turned me off to hunters"....... :mad:.......A lot of kids had got birds here....... ???

That Sucks Steve.......yea don't give up on the guy, maybe you can swing him back around....

The bad part is, is that he isn't really even the owner (they live in Texas). He's got a least option to buy....They still say I can hunt, but this guys an attorney and I didn't press the situation for now ...... :-X

Any chance you can help him find and ID the poacher? That kind of activity really should be punished. My first time at MCC, Larry was giving me a tour and we drove past a car stopped in the middle of the northbound lane of 76 west of the lake. The passenger door was open. As we passed, a guy came out of the brush with a crossbow. We'd seen turkeys down below. It was June. I've always regretted that we didn't turn around and investigate, but there isn't much doubt what they were trying to do.

"This really turned me off to hunters".

Poaching is NOT hunting, just like robbing a bank is not accounting. Poaching is an illegal activity which should never reflect onto what legal, ethical hunters do. Hunters don't poach; poachers poach. 'This really turned me off to poachers'... now that would make sense.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu