OUTREACH MEETING FOR Wister and SJ - JUNE 12 4pm - PLEASE READ AND ATTEND ONLINE

Is there a slide deck that's going to be available? Maybe someone could give an overview of what's happening at Wister for the upcoming season.

Jon,

Is a slide deck like a slide show?...They provided slides of the area and the work being done.

Last edited:
Yes. Last year they posted the presentation slides. I was hoping someone that attended could give some notes on what the crew has done or what is planned for this season.

Yes. Last year they posted the presentation slides. I was hoping someone that attended could give some notes on what the crew has done or what is planned for this season.

Nobody attended the meeting....It was a ZOOM get together.................. :blush:

Nobody attended the meeting....It was a ZOOM get together.................. :blush:
I sound like a broken record but was anything said about the problem of ONLY islands blinds and access ? Every year the wading to an island gets so harder so
I pick crappy spots that are on the checks . I understand we had this conversation last year and yet it seems our friends at CWA prefer their model . I’m not ready to give up . Yet . Oldquack 49

I sound like a broken record but was anything said about the problem of ONLY islands blinds and access ? Every year the wading to an island gets so harder so
I pick crappy spots that are on the checks . I understand we had this conversation last year and yet it seems our friends at CWA prefer their model . I’m not ready to give up . Yet . Oldquack 49
There is an option to hunt the island or the dike at the sign directing you to the island. 4 lane highways for levees and 300 yard wide ponds are far from ideal for killing ducks but apparently optimum for durability and water control.

Last edited:

Larry,

It was mentioned and there was conversation of gravel walk ways to some of the islands...I'm assuming, similar to San J................ :blush:

Larry,

It was mentioned and there was conversation of gravel walk ways to some of the islands...I'm assuming, similar to San J................ :blush:
I understand the gravel underwater walkways but as you know Wister mud is unlike anything at SJ and the gravel goes away . How about a few more dry walkways like 513B3 ? That doesn’t affect water control and it would throw us old dogs a bone . I do understand hunting the levee at the sign and have done that too . Thanks ! Another issue is the open water in front of the handicapped blinds . Overgrown with no open water isn’t conducive to a good time for those who need those blinds . I’m just getting old and cranky . Sorry for the rank , Oldquack 49

Just way to many rules and control moves being put in place to manage people. if the habitat quality got as much attention as blind and levee placement gets we would shoot more ducks and geese!I Pond levees should never be big enough to drive a truck down and ponds 150 yds wide ridiculous but I guess thats what helps manage a waterfowl refuge in the desert. Long live Wister!

I understand the gravel underwater walkways but as you know Wister mud is unlike anything at SJ and the gravel goes away . How about a few more dry walkways like 513B3 ? That doesn’t affect water control and it would throw us old dogs a bone . I do understand hunting the levee at the sign and have done that too . Thanks ! Another issue is the open water in front of the handicapped blinds . Overgrown with no open water isn’t conducive to a good time for those who need those blinds . I’m just getting old and cranky . Sorry for the rank , Oldquack 49

The 513A-3 handicap blind was mentioned and Chris said that Arundo and tules have been removed from in front of the blind site...The other handicap blinds, U10-2, 312B-3, and 115A-1 are status quo I guess.... :blush:

I remember Chadd talking about the newly worked areas having peninsula blinds. I took that to mean an above ground walkway off the main dike ending a distance into the pond where a person could set up and hunt . Maybe I misunderstood. Planning a trip down there soon to see for myself.

Reactions: ilovesprig
I took a screen shot of 1 slide

1719153963420.jpeg

Contact Scott and ask when and where his full presentation will be available. He did say the meeting was recorded. Be good for you all to hear it as well as see the slides

Reactions: Green House and jth

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu