Overwhelming? Where to apply?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
Wow all these regs are overwhelming me... I understand that you can't draw a D-16 & A-22 together this year. I also want to start building up points for better deer zones for future years.

If you draw a tag from your deer application does that mean you don't get a point whether the tag was first, second, or third choice? Or if you draw your second choice then do you still get a point for not drawing you first choice?

Also are points zone specific or a general accumilatin and can be used at any point in any zone to draw? For instance, I want to hunt D-12 and X9a in the future when I'm out of college and can afford to travel and invest in the hunt.

Bottom line is I want to expand my hunting oppertunites and have the points to do so when I can afford it, I look over the Big Game Digest daily trying to get meaning out of the regs as far as tags and draw go but I'm just having a tough time.

For 2015 I want to hunt D-16 but also want the ability to hunt a longer season, I also want the freedom to take a doe if i can't close the deal on a buck all season.

I have been unsuccessful the last three seasons in d-16 and would like to increase my time and odds.

Any suggestions on how I should be applying this year and when do the applications open for CA?

P.S. Im a self proclaimed hunter no one in my family hunts i haven't had any guidance and now i want to start increasing my odds, knowledge, and experience what California has to offer. Any tips or advice is much appreciated!!!!!!

Lots of questions there and it's very confusing. Heck, my answers may not even be completely right, but guys will chime in on the correct answer.

So, I'll try to answer in order......... ;)

If you put in for X9-A and don't get drawn, you get a point. That point can be used for any zone that's a limited draw (that includes D-16 now, but can change this year).....If you want an A-22 tag, then you can put it as your 2nd choice.....If drawn, no harm, no fowl, and no loss of point......If you would rather have the rifle option and you put D-16 as your 2nd choice. Same thing....No loss of point......If you put D-16 or A-22 as your 1st choice. You will lose your points.

Last year D-16 and A-22 didn't not sell out initially. D-16 still had tags after August 3rd......Last season the smart move would've been to buy an A-22 1st (2nd choice to get your point)......Then D-16 tags were 1st come 1st served after August 3rd......There were like a 800 left over......I bought my D-16 1st, should've bought my A-22 1st......A-22 sold out before the August deadline.....I ended up buying 2 D-16's.

There's a number of guys that know the point system way better than me, but I think this will get the conversation started.

Sorry for the questions being so confusing..... I'm confused myself that probably why i am having trouble asking the questions. Thanks a ton ilovesprig!!!!! So just to be clear, can I apply for just a point? (1st choice, then A-22 (second choice) and if i get drawn for A-22 i can pick up a D-16 if they are not sold out before the deadline?

I was under the impression that you could only have one either an A22 or a D16 both couldn't have both?

When will the dates for drawing, stats, and info come out for this year?

Jdrivsd619 said:
Sorry for the questions being so confusing..... I'm confused myself that probably why i am having trouble asking the questions. Thanks a ton ilovesprig!!!!! So just to be clear, can I apply for just a point? (1st choice, then A-22 (second choice) and if i get drawn for A-22 i can pick up a D-16 if they are not sold out before the deadline?

I was under the impression that you could only have one either an A22 or a D16 both couldn't have both?

Your questions weren't confusing......The "Micro" managing of California is confusing......GRRRR!

You can apply for X9-a and get a point. Where I think you may lose out, if possible. Would be, if you actually got drawn for X9-a.....You obviously would not get a point because you got draw......The odds are very slim that this would happen though.

And yes you can have both an A22 and a D-16......I had at least 2 friends that applied for the A-22 got it. Then bought the D-16 OTC.

I think new hunting licenses go on sale sometime in a April......And as I recall, my deer choices were in by May.

I have been looking at regs in various neighboring states ask want to hunt elk and antelope especially some time and there regs seem to be a little more clear cut and less restricting as to not have a law and then ten sub laws for one type of tag :D (exaggeration)

I hope that I don't loose out on d16 or a22 if I don't get drawn and all the tags sell out !!!!

I have to run over to get my upland bird stamp so I can try my hand at turkey this march so I will check dates then, I could be wrong but deadline for California draw is June 2 i believe or at least was last year?

Don't forget about those zones one or two up from d 16 I hear there's lots of deer out there

This is so confusing. I'll put in a comment and see what others say. If this year is a repeat of last year, one option would be to put in for D16 and then pick up A22 OTC because they won't sell out. To pick up points while still concentrating on D16, you can put in for g13 as first choice and D16 as second choice. G13 is rifle only and same dates as D16, but does are legal. Very limited draw so you can get a point and still draw D16 with near certainty. Last year I went all in for archery in SD, so put AO as my first and A22 as my second. Drew them both. Ate them both, but I hunted from September through the end of December so that was cool. As for putting in for X9A, that's a great idea I hadn't heard, as long as you could afford the trip if you draw it. G13 is just another way to get a point with your first choice.

Jdrivsd619 said:

Three important things:
1) you can apply for point only by putting 'PD' as your first choice, then D16 or A22 as your second.
2) If a premium tag doesn't draw-out, it converts to restricted instantly.
3) you can't buy two restricted tags unless one goes OTC in Aug.

My first year I put G13 (antlerless), then D16. Last year I put PD, then D16. Both years I got a point and a D16 at time of draw.

This year D16 will move from premium to restricted, since it was a draw last year but went to OTC. A22 was restricted and sold out by Aug so will remain restricted. That means you will have to buy one at time of draw, and hope the other goes OTC. Going for A22 vs D16 as you guaranteed tag is a judgement call. If you can't get on em with a rifle, you think you can get within 30 yards with a bow? On the other hand, extended season and doe legality might increase your odds.

Thanks msteiger for clearing that up !!!

Just one last question... Since D16 didn't sell out before august, does that mean it will be OTC and doesn't need to be applied for ?

This is what I'm looking at

1st choice: G13, 2nd: D16, 3rd: A22

Im banking on the Fact that A-22 won't sell out this year?

Lets say I draw D16, and A22 doesn't sell out, I thought you could only get one restricted tag? would i be able to go and get an A22 even though i drew the d-16 or vis versa?

Jdrivsd619 said:
Thanks msteiger for clearing that up !!!

Just one last question... Since D16 didn't sell out before august, does that mean it will be OTC and doesn't need to be applied for ?

This is what I'm looking at

1st choice: G13, 2nd: D16, 3rd: A22

Im banking on the Fact that A-22 won't sell out this year?

Lets say I draw D16, and A22 doesn't sell out, I thought you could only get one restricted tag? would i be able to go and get an A22 even though i drew the d-16 or vis versa?

No........If you get the D-16 or G13, you can not get an A22 until after August......That's exactly what happened to me last year......I got my D-16 thinking I'd be able to get my A-22. The A-22 didn't sell out the 1st go around, but did sell out before August (folks that didn't have a premium or restricted tag).

oh i see.......!!!!!!!!! so the tags go on sale to people when don't have a premium tag, and if the left overs don't sell out on that second go around then august 1st people who drew a premium tag can try to get one until there gone!!!!!!

I FINALLY UNDERSTAND!!!!!! wow thank you all solo much i have been mind boggled the last month or so trying to figure out what I'm going to do!!!!!!

Now that i understand the process ....... back to which tag i want to take my odds on drawing or waiting on ......... hmm ???

Thanks again guys!!!

Great summary Matt. If I see this enough I may eventually understand it, till they change it again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu