Ozark Trail Rotomold Coolers

Blueman

Jun 24, 2017
Hey Guys,

I went to Walmart today and inspected some of the Ozark Trail rotomolded coolers that they offer. There are currently three in the product lineup (26 qt., 52 qt. and 73 qt.). I was most interested in the 26 qt., as I believe it would be the right size if I'm fortunate enough to fill my D16 tag this year. As I was inspecting it (colors offered white, gray, and tan) I noticed it appeared durable and was moderately heavy. The handle was a nice feature, but I'm not sure it would be practical to carry the cooler this way when completely full (2 handed under grip probably better). From some of the YouTube reviews I have seen, ice retention is pretty good. I know all of the manufacturers of rotomolded coolers have recommendations on how to prep the coolers before just haphazardly throwing items and ice inside (which effect ice retention). For $86, it seems like a pretty good deal, especially when I have a bunch of other items to also purchase for my hunting adventurers. I know that some of the less expensive Coleman and Igloo coolers provide surprisingly good ice retention, but I'm thinking also about the durability of the product when thrown around a hunting camp, or falling off a vehicle. This is where I see rotomolded coolers shining. There are plenty of other options in this product category that are exceptional (Orca, RTIC, Yeti, Engel, Pelican), but I think the Ozark Trail series of rotomolded coolers might just be a viable option for those with realistic expectations of ice retention and more modest budgets. Anyways, just thought I would share my thoughts for those who are also in the market for a reinforced cooler and don't necessarily want to spend big money on one.

Reactions: BangBangBrandon
Don't own a OTR cooler, but do own 2 Yeti's, 2 large Igloo's, and now a 200 qt. Offshore Coleman....Used the Coleman this week-end for the JAKES event....And after being opened all morning Saturday, it still had ice in it yesterday.

All the roto molded coolers seem to work well (but cost varies greatly).....I would not buy another Yeti for political reasons......2 cents

Reactions: Gspman

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu