Packing Out

Duckgtr

Jan 21, 2014
Just courious I know everybody has their preferances of packing a deer out. I personally have been in situations to where we were able to manuever a vehicle to the deer or drag it down the hill to a boat or make it into a back back which i have done to 2. The one made into the backpack was shot across that canyon behind in the pic and the other one was on pendleton about 75 yards off a fire brake. made the back pack to show a buddy. Both deer had orange vest on the deer body and wrapped around the head and antlers

Attachments

• deer.jpg
    deer.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 200
  • deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 196
Yup that works. Now I use the gutless method and debone it. Less ticks, less blood on you and less weight to carry out.
By the way that's a nice PH you got off of Pendleton.

Great buck on Pendleton!............Never liked deer on my back. Ticks are bad enough just dragging them.

Using a good pack is the way to go, unless you are near a road then gut and drag.

I usually use home homemade deer drags made out of 18 inches of an old hose as a handle and a rope going through it tied in a slip knot and attach it to the antlers or. hooves. Although last year I drew a g13 tag and killed a small doe on the opener with a rifle then to get her out me and my dad tied her legs together and slipped my shooting sticks through the legs and got her out slinging her on my sticks with my dad carrying one end and me the other. I'll post a picture of it on the sticks when I find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
I usually use home homemade deer drags made out of 18 inches of an old hose as a handle and a rope going through it tied in a slip knot and attach it to the antlers or. hooves. Although last year I drew a g13 tag and killed a small doe on the opener with a rifle then to get her out me and my dad tied her legs together and slipped my shooting sticks through the legs and got her out slinging her on my sticks with my dad carrying one end and me the other. I'll post a picture of it on the sticks when I find it

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409250949.971237.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409250949.971237.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 83
Ticks creep me out. Dragging SUCKS! And being covered in blood sucks. For me, gutless debone is the way to go if more that a few hundred yards from the road.

ilovesprig said:
Great buck on Pendleton!............Never liked deer on my back. Ticks are bad enough just dragging them.

that was only the second biggest on Pendleton in 2012. The biggest was a 4x5 and weighed only 2 pounds more than mine. Also gave some backstraps of that to franks wife at the trailer at wister. Personally ive never had a problem with the ticks at all. I guess they dont really like me

D16hunter said:

Nice! That seems like the best way if you have 2 people.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu