Panel blind thoughts

duck-boy

Nov 25, 2015
Any of you guys use these? Where do you use at? Do you brush them up? Opinions from you guys that have experience with these. They are pricey IMO.
Screenshot_20211129-084224.png

Ron,

I use them...A LOT...Well worth the investment IMO....... :blush:

Canada, Montana, Henshaw, SS Club, local, wherever a portable blind is needed....The one draw back would be, you need to be fairly close to where you're going to shoot.

.003.JPG025.JPG003.JPG018.JPG088.JPG

Make your own out of 1" PVC. I have hunted out of panel blinds for years. Very easy to setup and most comfortable. The key is to brush them up with what ever local vegitation is available. Any blind will stick out if not using local vegitation

Make your own out of 1" PVC. I have hunted out of panel blinds for years. Very easy to setup and most comfortable. The key is to brush them up with what ever local vegitation is available. Any blind will stick out if not using local vegitation

Using the veg that surrounds the area is really important...............Good call, Mike

Reactions: duck-boy
Any of you guys use these? Where do you use at? Do you brush them up? Opinions from you guys that have experience with these. They are pricey IMO.
View attachment 52319
Used a couple of those when I goose hunted with Hunter last month. I liked how easy it is to brush it up.. has a bunch of weaving loops on the outside to slide arrow weed or whatever you want in.

I love the tanglfree 360 solo blind. Perfext for one person and a dog. Has a dog door and built in pockets to put ur shells and snacks !! Little bit of arrowweed on top and thing works great

I have a couple of them.Primos shakeout blind.. and I have the Alp 3 panel blind which is taller... I use them for deer hunting.i use them up against trees that you can hide in or next to. It sets up quik Works great. I shot my biggest deer CA deer using it. There worth the investment. My 2 cents

Reactions: duck-boy
Trapline, it's great that you now realize you need more than just some panels set up 3 feet away from you & standing out as if using nothing at all. But, there's more that can be learned from that photo.

1. Always incorporate natural cover (even if it's not native to your immediate surroundings) because camo printed fabric & square shapes aren't natural.

2. If there's natural cover nearby, set up next to it. Don't build a blind on the most bare spot on a dike. Setting up next to natural cover will offer a better transition to your blind making it less obvious.

3. Build it high enough so that when you are sitting down you can be entirely in the shade. Shade is the best camo when you are limited on material. I build the south east to south west sides of the blind a little higher to help shade more of the interior of the blind.

4. Try to keep any open areas for getting in & out of the blind on the North side.

5. Angle material inward to help break up the black hole that is seen from above. It will provide more shade & give you something to hide under while birds work directly overhead. If angled inward, you'll have plenty of room for your blind bag, dog, etc, & a narrow top for better coverage. I don't understand why so many blinds are built so wide when hunting things that fly.

Sorry to get off on a tangent from panel blinds. That photo triggered me.

i used these last year and liked them, going to grass them in and roll them up at home this year so can just unroll and stake them down this season.View attachment 52373
They will see you from miles away. What you have will work good if you cut up alot of arrow weed and brush yourself in real good. Can never have enough arrow weed man. By the times bird make it down here they have seen all kinds of blinds so brush and cover is ur best friend. A pain in the ass to gather and set up but well worth it

Thanks for the tips, will put them to good use this season.

I have tried hacking a hole in the brush and even though I could not be seen, I could not see either, especially anything coming up from behind when they were moving out. I can raise those panels up to 6’ to make shade and can play with the angle. The sun comes up all sideways out there. We had a spread on both sides of the dike, maybe I need a corner spot.

Riddle me this, if those panels were totally brushed in the location on the dike in the pic do you think it would it be as effective as hugged up against natural terrain? The vantage point is awesome. The San J blinds seem to be in the open also but brushed and can still glass around you to see what’s up and moving.

I can tell you, if you put up a TangleFree panel blind at the Shaw in the flats...The widgeon will go around you like the plague (Rona?)....A good dark back drop has to be used...I think in many cases, having light going thru the blind looks more natural...Just make sure that the human outline is not visible...Camo netting is the worst...Avery grass is pretty darn good...We paint the grass panels per the color of surrounding habitat...They come pretty light colored.

,IMG_3769 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Designed2Hunt
Trapline, there's give & take in everything. You will give up cover & not being seen if you feel the need to see everything around you. If you can see them they can probably see you. You don't have eyes in the back of your head so your not going to see everything all the time anyways. I'd rather stand up & spot them from a distance, then sit down & start working on them.

I like a blind where just my head & shoulders are above the blind when standing up. When I sit down it's well above my head & I can follow the birds through the small gaps in the cover. I need to see the birds react to my calling so I'll know how to call them. This means moving around which is why you need to be covered well. No caller can sit in the same direction & know when to call the shot on birds circling around him.. You have to be able to know where they are at without giving yourself away.

To answer your question on blind placement in your photo, I would say it would be better than doing what you did but not as good as incorporating it next to natural cover. The natural cover I see in the photo is not taller than your blind so it wouldn't have obstructed your view.
How man bushes did you see in the middle of the dike like that. Not any is my guess. These plants want to be close to water, so, set your blind closer to the water.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu