Passed on a 2x2

ratz

Feb 17, 2011
Sunday evening I watched about as much of the Charger game as I could stand, and drove to the hills.
When I got to my spot, I climbed to the top of the Canyon, half winded, I looked to my left and saw another hunter about 400yds away.
I figured it was a wash, and I would extend as much courtesy as I could to him as he was there first.
He spotted me as well.
I saw him glassing the opposite canyon, and soon saw a young Buck (nice young 2x2) coming down the opposing canyon wall about 400yds away. I hadn't even settled in yet.
We used hand signals to indicate that we both saw him.
At this point I knew I was going to let this young hunter take the shot. ( the deer was probably 1 1/2 years old, and not any bigger than anything I had gotten in the past), so I put my rifle down, and watched the other hunter, and the deer for the next 30 min. neither of us taking a shot.
I talked to the young hunter after we trekked out of there, and he said "even though it was legal, it was a bit to young, and we should let it grow up another year".
I smiled, and said good for you. For me it was no problem passing on this deer, but was impressed to see a young man pass for the same reason

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu