Permanent Stand of BLM Land - Legal or Not?

AirRifleHunter

Hike, Scout, Glass, Prepare and then, Get it Done!
Feb 8, 2013
Hi all,

I wanted to get your take of something that we found on Saturday.

Went rabbit hunting on Saturday. I hadn't planned it, but a buddy called me up and wanted to go, so I took him. Now this area is also where I like to deer hunt during the season and so I know this area well and have hiked all over this landscape.

During our armed hike we came upon a permanent stand that someone built on BLM land. Now to my knowledge of the laws and regulations, this is not allowed. This stand is in no way temporary because the main 4x4 post was buried deep in the ground and had the type of hangers people screw into the rafters to hang bikes in the 4x4 to use as steps, like a ladder. It looked like someone took allot of time and effort hauling all of this material out to this spot and built it where it shouldn't be. This was not private property, but BLM Land.

We took photos of it and GPS coordinates and plan to report this to the local rangers that I see almost every time I'm out there to found out what can be done, if anything.

Am I misreading the laws and regulations, or is it as I understand it?

Ray, take a look at this thread from last fall:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php?topic=4590

Main difference is that you've hunted the area before, whereas I had not been there before. Lots of folks weighed in and opinions varied from one end to another. Bottom line is that it's public land, and whether he has a stand or not, if he's there first on a day when you show up, you've got to move on; and vice versa. And whoever is there when Bambi shows up gets to take him home.

Here's an answer I got.........."There are no laws regarding hunting from a tree stand in California. As for building a tree stand on public lands you cannot build any permanent structures or reserve or hold public property and anything you place must be removed at the end of the day and taken with you. Whatever you want is fine on private property as long at it is your own land or you have written permission from the land owner.

Placement of tree stands or blinds on public lands in california can be restricted such as you cannot set up with in 100 yds of a water guzzler, or shoot across a road or trail, or be with in 150yds of a building or campground etc".

Letter of the law may state no permanent deer stands........I know I've seen a number of permanent deer stands in Cleveland NF. Duck blinds are permanent as well on much of the Salton Sea (public land).......I personally would think nothing of it.

ilovesprig said:
Here's an answer I got.........."There are no laws regarding hunting from a tree stand in California. As for building a tree stand on public lands you cannot build any permanent structures or reserve or hold public property and anything you place must be removed at the end of the day and taken with you. Whatever you want is fine on private property as long at it is your own land or you have written permission from the land owner.

Placement of tree stands or blinds on public lands in california can be restricted such as you cannot set up with in 100 yds of a water guzzler, or shoot across a road or trail, or be with in 150yds of a building or campground etc".

Letter of the law may state no permanent deer stands........I know I've seen a number of permanent deer stands in Cleveland NF. Duck blinds are permanent as well on much of the Salton Sea (public land).......I personally would think nothing of it.
X2
except i was told by rangers if deer stands are found after deer season it will be confiscated.

Don't report it !, I'd be so pissed if I rolled up to my stand and have it be gone (stolen or removed by rangers). Have you ever had a cam jacked? Think of that times 10. Every one is gonna chime in stating rules are rules you take a risk of having a cam or a stand jacked or taken down on public land blah blah blah. Bottom line, no fellow hunter should be dropping dimes one one another unless poaching or trespassing ext... I run across tree stands all the time out in the bush and just turn away.

If its more of a "this is my spot type thing" than use the stand and if your there first it's yours, but don't report it

Just my opinion

Lee,

You'll love this quote by a ranger.......It was given to a guy I know....... ::)

.QUOTE (****** @ Aug 8 2011, 07:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I spoke to an USFS employee who said he removed every unmanned treestand he found. He chuckled when he said "the owners probably thought they were stolen".

stikbrandon said:
Don't report it !, I'd be so pissed if I rolled up to my stand and have it be gone (stolen or removed by rangers). Have you ever had a cam jacked? Think of that times 10. Every one is gonna chime in stating rules are rules you take a risk of having a cam or a stand jacked or taken down on public land blah blah blah. Bottom line, no fellow hunter should be dropping dimes one one another unless poaching or trespassing ext... I run across tree stands all the time out in the bush and just turn away.

If its more of a "this is my spot type thing" than use the stand and if your there first it's yours, but don't report it

Just my opinion

+1

ilovesprig said:
stikbrandon said:

Just my opinion

+1
X3

Guys,

So there are no misunderstandings let me clarify:

This is not about this being "my spot". I know how hunting spots work and first come first serve and all... blah, blah, blah, so on and so forth. That is how it goes and I know, understand and deal with it maturely. I don't care if someone hunts a spot I've hunted in the past. Public land is just that... public. It happens. I have absolutely no problem with that. I'll even go so far as to not hunt in an area if I see one or more vehicles parked at one of my usual locations. I am very respectful of others while hunting and have had quite a few hunts of my own ruined because people come walking through my spot. Like I said, it happens.

I understand the difference between tree stands and other types of stands, blinds, etc. I am intelligent enough to be able to differentiate between them ;) , the regs surrounding them and I have seen tree stands still up in trees long after the season is over. I don't have issue with tree stands being left up, even though you aren't supposed too.

My issue is that this is NOT a tree stand. It isn't near a tree at all. It is a stand someone physically built to be permanently out in the middle of shrub bushes on public land. No tree. This stand is in no way natural, nor is it attached to anything natural (other than the dirt the posts are buried in). That is my point.

I could go build a similar structure out there too, but just because everybody does something doesn't make it right.

stikbrandon said:

Just my opinion

what? I am looking at both sides of this I am not starting an argument.
but what if everyone starting building tree stands made from wood or what ever.
I am not for against this. , but here is the scenario. what if BLM sad enough is enough .

no stands allowed period. then what. The reason a lot of the roads are closed. because misuse by the public at large.
Examples: Dumping, Trash, Junked Cars, Dead Animal , the other cause was people Target shooting and leaving Broken Glass Everywhere. This not a tree stand it sounds like a homemade stand made in the middle of no where . is it Illegal yes because it is a permanent type structure. would I report it, no I would not. Let the rangers do their job. Do believe it's Illegal stand. Yes I do. Again I am using common sense. What we have to look at. will it cause us all problems. Yes because if they pass a law no more tree stands. we all lose.

Ghost

I want to thank those of you who have voiced your thoughts and opinions.

As some of you mentioned, I have decided not to report it after thinking about it for a day or two. However, I still don't feel it is right, or a good example to follow. I feel it is a poor example for others who may see this illegal, permanent stand, and I won't be surprised if I see more of them pop-up in the area as a result of this one. Whoever it is, they are going to ruin it for others eventually.

I'll still be out there, in that exact area before sun up during deer season and hopefully I don't see that person. ;)

sluester said:
??? ??? ???
What was the point of this post????
Maybe 4-5 guys would know what this guy did. Now 115 views??
I'm sure you never do anything wrong? You never speed or turn in those who do?
I'm sure you know EVERY regulation and how it is enforced and never, ever break the rules?

How about this, mind your own business? This guy took some time and money and the risk to make the odds in his favor and you whine about it.
Who the heck would ever put a stand up and take it down every time they go out? Climber stand guys are about the only ones where that makes any kind of sense.

I've hunted yotes, bobcats, and rabbits etc. out of my stands. I don't own a deer only stand.

I'm scared to be in the woods with some of the posts I read on this site, seriously.

Sluester

are you condoning breaking the law on this website?
is that a good profile to be providing to the NOBS on this board that it's OK.
no one is perfect, neither am I.
How about maybe we say some constructive like ya he or she should not have done that.

end of line.

Ghost

InternetPolice_zpso5v1od4l.png

This thread has been reported

internet_police_zps802b8407.gif

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu