Pet vet? Chocolate Lab

180ls1

Nov 2, 2020
Poway
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a vet in SD? Our chocolate lab has some dietary/allergy/skin issues. We have been seeing local offices here in Poway but I am curious if anyone knows of someone better. Many thanks!

Zion.jpg

My breeder’s vet recommends this. I’ve never used it but my lab is on apoquel for itching. I’m not completely enamored of my vet so I won’t suggest them but am watching as I too would like to find a new vet. Health wise my vet is fine but constantly wanting to nickel and dime me for stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_0413.png
    IMG_0413.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: 180ls1
Adam,

I use Countryside veterinarian in Valley Center...Pretty far away, but I've been real happy with them for close to 30 years.

Jaeger had some skin issues, but they took care of it...I'll ask Stefanie what they used.

OK...This what Stef had done...Cytopoint injection...Worked great....Cost is based on the size of the dog...Jaeger's a load (100 lb'er) and it was around $100.00

hunter jaeger love 2.JPG

Adam,

I use Countryside veterinarian in Valley Center...Pretty far away, but I've been real happy with them for close to 30 years.

Jaeger had some skin issues, but they took care of it...I'll ask Stefanie what they used.

OK...This what Stef had done...Cytopoint injection...Worked great....Cost is based on the size of the dog...Jaeger's a load (100 lb'er) and it was around $100.00

View attachment 59077

My breeder’s vet recommends this. I’ve never used it but my lab is on apoquel for itching. I’m not completely enamored of my vet so I won’t suggest them but am watching as I too would like to find a new vet. Health wise my vet is fine but constantly wanting to nickel and dime me for stuff.

Thanks guys. I'll run the Apoquel past my wife ash she is more on top of those things.

We did find out that he has a food alergy and has since been put on Z/D food which helped a lot. However, every time he has a flare up on his skin or something that turns into a wound the vet keeps throwing antibiotics at it. I am not sure that's *wrong* but I sure would love to find a way not to hit him with multiple doses every year.

Our Beagle was having skin/dietary issues. It was as simple aa switching foods to a more fish based diet. A lot of dogs have issues with poultry based dog food. Once we switched to a fish based one it was night and day. It might be a simple thing to try before going to a vet, but obviously if it is emergent a vet is necessary.

It is far but I like our vet in Murrieta. Our Lab and Beagle go there.

One of my old bosses was having similar issues with his dog and he switched to making his own dog food with raw meats and cooked vegetables and adding fish oils and other vitamins and his dog improved rather quickly. My brother feeds his dog cooked sweet potatoes and other vegetables and will buy cow hearts from the butcher for his older dog and she seems to be doing good. That's a good looking dog you got there. Hope you can find something or someone that can help.

I wish Dr. Judy was still around. He was cool. He sold and retired and Judy Veterinary has turned corporate. My black lab has seen two new doctors there, and I'm not going back. I found them to be very inconsiderate and uninterested in my dog. A few of the front office staff left because they didn't like what was going on there. They moved to Rancho San Diego Vet and said it's operated like Dr. Judy once operated his practice. That's where I'm going. With that said, I have completely stopped giving my lab vacinations, Bravecto, etc. My first lab died of cancer at 10 y/o. I've had several people tell me that the cancer was, more than likely, caused by chemicals. I'm not an expert. But, I'm leaning on the conservative side with meds for my incredible duck dog.

I'll second Rancho San Diego vet. We have been taking our labs to them for at least 20 years, Dr. Rose Brown runs a first class operation and is very caring with our duck dogs.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu