Pheasant & Forky......

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Hunted Wister with friends Robert and Tanner.......Never fired a shot and we were out of there by 9:00 am......Tanner and I had hunted pheasant Tuesday and flushed a number of hens early on, but didn't flush a rooster until late in the afternoon. He flushes a pair of roosters in high alfalfa. And despite Trigger being right on the 2nd one. We don't find either......Total bummer......Tanner does get a rooster a little bit later.....For the entire day, I got 2 mourning doves and lots of good exercise........ ;D

So, after all most 2 days of hunting we had one rooster & 2 doves......On the way home Tanner says, how about going deer hunting.....Couldn't be any worse, I thought.....We get to my best spot and right off, we have does and a single spike moving around.....The weather was cool, breezy, and a few clouds....... Perfect for this area.......As encouraging as it started, it didn't change for 5 hours.....Finally, as it's getting late. Tanner says, here comes another deer and it's a buck. I put the Swaro's on him and I say.....I think he's a shooter.....As he clears a big Engleman oak, he stops. The does are right in front of him and he then turns to leave with them when I hear......KAPOOW!.....And down he goes!.....Beautiful big D-16 forky...... ;)

I think this beauty makes up for losing the 2 roosters and the no shot morning at Wister....... :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_9500.JPG
    IMG_9500.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9514.JPG
    IMG_9514.JPG
    650.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9521.JPG
    IMG_9521.JPG
    760.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9522.JPG
    IMG_9522.JPG
    712 KB · Views: 42
Matt,

I don't shoot fall turkeys unless the landowners want one......IMO our turkeys are not doing that well......Why shoot hens and calling gobblers in is what it's all about to us.

Attachments

• IMG_9511.JPG
    IMG_9511.JPG
    525 KB · Views: 34
Fair enough. I don't know the state of turkey populations here. I'm seeing loads of healthy looking birds...on private land. But I know the drought has been hard on all wildlife.

baboltin said:
congrats how wide is he ?

20 1/2"..............Damn good SD forky..............Wish we would've had more of his kind yesterday with another boy........2 small forkies early and a really good forky right at dark-thirty in another location.

Attachments

• IMG_9550.JPG
    IMG_9550.JPG
    408.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9562.JPG
    IMG_9562.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 28

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu