Pig hunting questions/ Hello every one.

thisfool

Sep 3, 2015
Hi guys my name is Travis. I have been lurking around here for a little while and made my profile a little while back and this would be my first post.

I meant to post a while back in early November when I went on my first hunt (if you can call it that) at BHCR.
Since I don’t want to be the jerk whose first post is out right begging for info I will make this a little bit of a read.

I am an avid fishermen and I met a guy out on a tuna fishing boat with my fishing club. He started talking about hunting with another guy and my ears perked up. He said "I looked like a kid in line to talk to Santa" when I told him I wanted to go hunting. He said he would take me to get a pig. I first started looking into hunting about a year ago but from all the false info I had and lack of research I came to the conclusion that it just wasn’t going to happen there was no pig hunting worth trying in CA, but all that changed when I met this guy. So that fishing trip was in July I bought my first ever firearm in August a Remington 783 30-06 and shot a firearm for the first time in my like in September. Finally the day came November 11th 2015 and my truck was loaded up and I was on my way to BHCR to meet up with my buddy hang out do some shooting and do our hunt on the 12th.
The morning rolled around we got our briefing the opened the gate and about 30 minutes later the excitement died. My buddy killed a big 300lb Russian that was getting ready to charge (we came around a corner and it was right in front of us only about 50 feet out) and that was awesome but then something very strange and sad happened. Three pigs all about 80lbs walked over checked out their dead buddy then kind of looked at us as to say "wow what happened to this guy? Did you guys see what happened?"

I ended up with about a 150lb pig. again we came around a corner I seen the pig a little bit further off maybe 50 yards and I could tell it had a lot of meat on the bones and after walking past plenty of rams and other smaller pigs I knew that this was not real hunting but I also was not going home without shooting something so I took aim and put him down.

So now that I got my first kill out of the way I want to do a real hunt. I started looking into outfits in Texas but after taking travel into account that’s something I would have to plan for a much further out time frame, so naturally I turned my sights back on CA. From what I have figured out central CA provides some good pig hunting and it looks like any time in the spring is a good time.

My plan is to go up there and an hunt/ fish my butt off for no less than 4 day all the way up to 8 days, but being a complete newbie I have a ton of questions and having the patience of a 5 year old I cant wait for my CA pig hunting guide books to come in, so here come the questions.

1) Does a newbie with only guide books to reference and 8 days to burn do i have a good chance of getting a shot off on a pig?
2) I am thinking about going to the foot hills of San Luis Obispo. Is that a good starting place for a first timer? Can anyone recommend an area to try, or would you like to join me? (I will cover gas, driving and food in trade for your knowledge)
3) I have read that fort Ligget has good numbers on their land. Does anyone have any experience with hunting one of the fort?
4) Should I go with someone like GSGS to learn the ropes a bit before setting off on my own?

Welcome Travis. Your first experience was a good way to get started. You are extremely unlikely to find pigs on public land in CA. FHL is a good bet, but you still need to know how to read sign to find pigs. Tejon Ranch is similar. If you want to learn how to hunt pigs and can afford the fee, I'd pay a professional guide, get yourself in top shape so you can keep up with him, and hire him for a two day hunt. GSGS offers very reasonable pricing and Neil is committed to you having a good hunt. There are other guides as well offering pig hunts in California. Remember that it's copper only (bullets) in the Central Valley.

Bonejour said:
Welcome Travis. Your first experience was a good way to get started. You are extremely unlikely to find pigs on public land in CA. FHL is a good bet, but you still need to know how to read sign to find pigs. Tejon Ranch is similar. If you want to learn how to hunt pigs and can afford the fee, I'd pay a professional guide, get yourself in top shape so you can keep up with him, and hire him for a two day hunt. GSGS offers very reasonable pricing and Neil is committed to you having a good hunt. There are other guides as well offering pig hunts in California. Remember that it's copper only (bullets) in the Central Valley.

I yea i looked into Tejon ranch and it looks awesome but its just a little to rich for my blood, and i was in contact with GSGS today. I might do a hunt with them opposed to my orginal plans.

Travis,

Welcome to SCH......I would take Don's advice and hook up with Neil at GSGS.....Lots to learn about hunting big game in general, not just pigs......Good luck.

Travis first of all where do you live. how far can you travel. reason i ask is most of the good hunting area private or public (exep Tejon) are located on the central valley of California. I hunted Tejon more than ten years now. if you factor the expenses when going on your first or after you bag your first pig on public land, it will be cheaper to go to Tejon or GSGS. and other private property guided hunt from Santa Barbara to King city and beyond.
On the other hand i hunted Fort Hunted for over 35 years and Camp Roberts till they close it to the public. if you want to burn leader and want to bag a pig on public land, shoot me a PM and i will guide you from registration, permits, and area to hunt.
Goodluck.......

Eric pecan said:
Travis first of all where do you live. how far can you travel. reason i ask is most of the good hunting area private or public (exep Tejon) are located on the central valley of California. I hunted Tejon more than ten years now. if you factor the expenses when going on your first or after you bag your first pig on public land, it will be cheaper to go to Tejon or GSGS. and other private property guided hunt from Santa Barbara to King city and beyond.
On the other hand i hunted Fort Hunted for over 35 years and Camp Roberts till they close it to the public. if you want to burn leader and want to bag a pig on public land, shoot me a PM and i will guide you from registration, permits, and area to hunt.
Goodluck.......

I will send you a pm right now

Im curious how this plays out for you, I am in the same boat as you and would love to bag a pig this spring.

We need to get a group hunt to tejon ranch we can get upto 8 guys on the ranch for as little as 750 each. and thats a 3 day hunt that includes lodging and food.

GSPman said:
We need to get a group hunt to tejon ranch we can get upto 8 guys on the ranch for as little as 750 each. and thats a 3 day hunt that includes lodging and food.

That's a good price with lodging and food for 3 days.

i think so. they actually call it 2 days. you hunt the first evening, all day the second day and the 3rd morning. its still a good price. it also only simi guided but thats 1/2 the fun. id go in with 2 maybe 4 people. that only leaves a fw more.

My daughter would be the only one actually hunting.So would I still have to pay $750 for myself even if I'm not going to be taking any pig?

Nicholas909 said:
My daughter would be the only one actually hunting.So would I still have to pay $750 for myself even if I'm not going to be taking any pig?

unfortunately on this hunt they dont allow a non hunting guest. kinda sucks but i get it because of the food and lodging.

For your daughters first pig kill have you looked at big horn ranch? I wont get into the issues for or against ill let you figure that out for your self just a suggestion ive looked into for my son.

GSPman said:

I would be very intrested in doing this!!

GSPman said:
Nicholas909 said:

unfortunately on this hunt they dont allow a non hunting guest. kinda sucks but i get it because of the food and lodging.

For your daughters first pig kill have you looked at big horn ranch? I wont get into the issues for or against ill let you figure that out for your self just a suggestion ive looked into for my son.

Understandable.... I live a few miles from Big Horn Canyon Ranch. I've actually tried it there before. My Daughter goes deer hunting with me. Being out in the woods looking for the animals, & hopefully finding them is a thrill to her. That's something Big Horn can't offer. I'll just change my date to sometime this summer. Maybe next time I will be able to go.

GSPman said:

I think you started something. You should set a date and make it happen.

Lungpopper said:
GSPman said:

I think you started something. You should set a date and make it happen.

Yes im very intrested in going just give me a date so i can start getting all my ducks in a row.

I am open for any weekend in march other then March 11. I am hosting a limited load overnight fishing trip that weekend.

Did you look into the junior deer hunts at Tejon for your daughter by chance?

very reasonably priced and its an awesome experience.

CaptJgray said:
Did you look into the junior deer hunts at Tejon for your daughter by chance?

very reasonably priced and its an awesome experience.

Honestly I haven't looked at anything at Tejon before.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu