Pig question

Tbob

Dec 11, 2014
Hey all,
So I have a pig question for you guys. I am moving to San Diego in exactly 30 days and I keep seeing all these giant hog pix being posted. Are the hogs located all over CA? Should I always be prepared for a sighting? Just curious. I'm moving down from WA state and we don't have pigs here and I have no idea what type of habitat they prefer. I'm going to be scouting hard and heavy for deer and yotes come April. Just wondering if I should be prepare for pigs while out and about. Thanks for any info!

Tbob said:
Hey all,
So I have a pig question for you guys. I am moving to San Diego in exactly 30 days and I keep seeing all these giant hog pix being posted. Are the hogs located all over CA? Should I always be prepared for a sighting? Just curious. I'm moving down from WA state and we don't have pigs here and I have no idea what type of habitat they prefer. I'm going to be scouting hard and heavy for deer and yotes come April. Just wondering if I should be prepare for pigs while out and about. Thanks for any info!

There's very few pigs in SD Co.......Not saying if your in the right area that you couldn't see one, but the chances are very slim......Most the pigs are in Central Cali.

You are very unlikely just to come across pigs on public land anywhere in CA so if you are worried about one jumping you, don't worry. Hunting pigs is great fun, and there are ranches and guides here with great success rates.

Random and I were out bowfishing Sutherland a few yrs ago and saw a guy with a backpack on with a bunch of flags sticking out of it and taking pictures and looking intently at the ground , so I asked him what he was doing. He told me they were tracking the range of wild pigs. At that time the guy said they had tracked them to within less than 10 miles from there. There are pigs in SD just got to get out there and look. They are in the Ramona/Julian area trust me I have proof.

Its not a impossible quest to get a SD hog but Most of my success is with the use of dogs. I have found hogs on a spot stalk only twice and that was during deer season. Our current dry condition has pushed them to permanent water locations which is mostly on county, city, or private lands. FHL and some of the other DFG lands up North would be the best spot for public land hogs.

Check out the central coast, San Luis Opisbo County. Pigs are also all over the foothills of the western Sierra Nevada Mountain Range.

Awesome! Super stoked to be able to hunt a new critter.. Giving up OTC elk tags here in WA so maybe the pigs will keep me busy for awhile!

I too have a pig tag burning a hole in my pocket. Would really like some hints on where to look.
I took two pigs in Descanso at Doug's before he shut down his operation.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu