Pigeons

HunterBK

Apr 18, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Hi all,

For as long as I've been going dove hunting we've always shot pigeons too. One of the older guys in our group has always said that there is no season on them.

I tried looking up the fish and game laws regarding pigeons but didn't have much luck. I know that there are regulations on band-tailed pigeons, but I'm pretty sure those are different from the common pigeons I see around California.

Are there any hunting regulations on the common pigeon?

Hunter BK, I've seen tons of different things on feral pigeons. Some call them rock doves. While there is nothing specific in the regs from DFW about the non Band Tailed Pigeons, I was able to find this response from Karen Fothergill (Coordinator of Game Bird Heritage Program for DFW).

"Rock Doves, commonly called pigeons, are considered domestic only when they are being reared in captivity. Feral would be ones that were domestic and somehow released into the wild.
Rock doves in general are wild and regulated as non-game birds. Therefore, they cannot be "taken" unless under a depredation permit. These permit are issued only when requested and only with proof of property damage such as crop damage."

I've also found other posts from people saying they were shooting these pigeons and a game warden told them there's nothing wrong with what they're doing.

Might want to check with DFW yourself to be sure. Don't think too many people would even question it...

I very clearly recall reading the law not too many years ago, and finding the statement that they could be hunted on private land without a license, and on public land with a license, no season, no limits. But now, I can't find that code. I thought it might be a San Diego County ordinance, but I don't see it yet. Still looking. I did find this:

FISH AND GAME CODE
SECTION 3680-3686

3680. Any person, other than the owner thereof, who at any time, by
any means or in any manner, purposely takes any racing pigeon
currently registered with a recognized organization, is guilty of a
misdemeanor. However, the incidental take of registered racing
pigeons with the shooting or taking of wild band-tailed pigeons or
domestic pigeons (Columba livia), is not a violation of this section.

Rock Pigeons are also called "Columba livia" on this page: http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/reusable_components/images/parks/doc/RMD/SantaMargarita_FinalRMP_6.29.12.pdf

So in referring to the "shooting or taking of...domestic pigeons", there is an implication that it is legal in some form or another- I just can't find the regs anymore!

There are so many contradictory posts on it! I saw someone else saying the same thing and also said they lifted the law in 2010. He said she said...

I'd still check with a warden to get their opinion, but it may be one of those grey areas that certain wardens will push on and others will not.

If you find any specifics, please update the post. Thanks.

Thanks for the insights.

I guess I need to decide if I want to call a warden or just continue to fly under the radar and take pigeons each year without asking questions.

There are guys in our group who have been hunting pigeons for 15+ years and have never had any trouble with the wardens. Personally, I know the wardens have driven by me at least one or two times while I was in the middle of taking pigeons and they never said anything.

Go kill them tell them sdbirds said its cool. After u drop that name u will either get a ticket or u won't then let me know

Just say you work for APHIS and are conducting an eradication order. Then you can do anything like shoot coyotes at airports or pigs from your truck with thermals

I've got a call in to the DFG DFW, and will post up when I hear back. Here's what I do know:

I previously posted a rule which implies that "domestic pigeons" can be hunted.

The DFW has dog training areas (Honey Springs, Rancho Jamul, wildlife areas, etc.), and the regulations for those areas state that you can release/shoot "feral pigeons". I can provide links if anyone needs them.

The man I spoke to today said that there's absolutely no way that you we be able to shoot them anywhere without a license "and the proper stamp", which contradicts what I stated earlier about being able to shoot them on private land (if you have permission), without a license. However, I believe the gentleman I spoke to might be mistaken, because pest control companies are still trapping them (without a license, I'm sure) by the hundreds; and because the upland game regs don't mention them (and therefore the upland game endorsement is not required in order to hunt them, if in fact they can be hunted).

The regulations no longer contain the words "rock dove", and I know they were in there before- I just can't prove it. And they're not in there now. I haven't seen any indication that the rules have changed, the language has simply disappeared from online resources.

Whatever the case may be, it definitely needs to be clarified, and hopefully it will be before this Friday, which is when I had scheduled a trip out to the desert to shoot a bunch of 'em!

"rock dove" or " feral pigeons" are non game animals just like ground squirrels and "rodents" and as such there is no season or take limit. They can carry up to thirty different diseases so be careful about handling them.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu