pigs in sandiego county

Not to rez a dead thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can hunt some hogs? Not looking for your sweet spots or anything. Just looking to find out where it's legal to hunt for these suckers. I don't wanna just go trouncing off the side of the road only to get snatched up by the police for trespassing, shot at by a ranch owner, or lose my license for hunting where it's not allowed.

Btw I live on Camp Pendlton near Oeanside so if you know if any places kinda near there that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance.

I don't think there are any sweet spots around here for hogs. The last couple of years I have only heard of three different people that have been lucky enough to kill a local hog. They may brag about killing a hog but they don't brag about where.

Any ideas of where to start looking further north? I don't mind driving an hour or two for a hunt. I just don't even know where to start out here. It's not like back home in Alabama where most everyone I know either has some land to hunt on or knows someone that does.

I'm up in Corona and went by the local ranger station. They gave me a map with sightings on it, most of it was around the Palomar Mt. area and further down into Cleveland Forrest area. It was dated last summer but that is a starting point, Im going to start looking in those areas and see what I can find.

CritJoe thanks for your service :)

to answer your question No pigs up north in the 2hr rage from where you are. Finding pigs on public land right now is pretty hard to do. Even up north on the central coast finding pigs on public land is way way past hard. Can you do it YUP! do i know people on this site that have done it, Yup but omg its hard.

if you have not already you should join the sportsman's club on the base. http://www.sportsmansclub.net/

Here's a question. Why is every new Hunter I meet looking for wild pigs. They always tell me and I tell them the same thing. Good luck be ready to hike. I find fresh sign all the time. I heard them once still haven't laid eyes on them. I've seen a few killed. But it's always buddies on the trigger

Sdbirds said:
Here's a question. Why is every new Hunter I meet looking for wild pigs. They always tell me and I tell them the same thing. Good luck be ready to hike. I find fresh sign all the time. I heard them once still haven't laid eyes on them. I've seen a few killed. But it's always buddies on the trigger

Ummm... Because they are always in season and in most (other parts) of the country they are pretty easy to find? ;) Bummer that they are scarce here.

They are not really bigger pests than deer, just different. But because they are not "cute" and not native, we get to take them if we can find 'em. That seems like a pretty good deal for hunters these days.

Every time I've focused on them specifically I end up hrs behind them/days behind them, wrong end of the wind, or tired of crawling through manzinita groves while making neat scratches all over my back. Seen a few 3 weeks ago up in Julian on my friends private property. I know a guy who takes one about every other year in Descanso. Im stubborn and want to bust my own ass to find my own lucky day out on a north facing slope.

Look at the success ratio for our county its poor. Your works cut out for you. This is not no GS/Tejon Hunt. This is San Diego with poor access and less food!

Goodluck to all!

Okie81 said:
I'm up in Corona and went by the local ranger station. They gave me a map with sightings on it, most of it was around the Palomar Mt. area and further down into Cleveland Forrest area. It was dated last summer but that is a starting point, Im going to start looking in those areas and see what I can find.

Okie, I live in Corona also. Where is the local ranger station?

They are much like a Yetti. You hear about them, once in a while you see a picture of one but rarely make contact with one. ;D

That's a decent boar. Is this the one that was hit along the 78 or 79 several months ago?

Matagi said:
That's a decent boar. Is this the one that was hit along the 78 or 79 several months ago?

No it wasn't that old this was hit around the 8th.

I've heard a story that some lady smoked a biggin on the 67 smashed here front end. The fcker got back to his feet and trotted off like it wasn't phased. I don't know how true that was but I want to believe it haha.

Yeah that was a little bit west of 67 and Poway road right by the Iron Mountain TH. Lady hit the big sucker with a F250 or something and it nearly busted her steering system. That boar looks like a Eurasian strain so I'm guessing south of Santa Ysabel or near it?

I've run over them many times at night........never found a one! Those suckers are tough SOB!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu