pigs in sandiego county

Take it for what's it worth.
Paying to hunt pigs 500 for DIY or more is well worth it!!!!!!. Public land will take LUCK & DEDICATION.....5-10 hunt trips in the same area once you find sign. Then you may miss your first two shots before you put a few down.

For the kids public land is not the way to go. Kids need action and most ranches/guides have a discount for kids.

If you want a challenge do a WPMH at Tejon but unless you know Tejon use a guide service for your best time/dollar.

I know where there are pigs in San Diego but I still pay to hunt them.......that should tell you something about which brings home the bacon. Once we get back into a El Niño pattern that's the time to get out there and I hope it improves the PL hunting!!!

395 for exotics and most make sweet mounts. I'm going when Charlie gets some pure strain mouflan hopefully soon. Here's what I've noticed about bhcr. Sure it's not wild game hunting but every niche serves a purpose. The thing is you can go there when he gets a fresh shipment of hogs and harvest 350 to 450 lb hogs. These are farm hogs good eating. I've raised hogs for 18 years and IMHO I think there is really no difference in taste or tenderness. Here's why... These hogs are boars and guilt s that were grown large for reproduction purposes. If in growth a trait or defect is noticed they will either harvest if not above market weight or if over market weight they will dispose of by other means or sell to game farms . So I get boar are different all together but I'll put a farm hog in my freezer over boar anyday. So bhcr is 395 for hogs not boar 500 for boar or razorbacks. So 395 for a potentially large hog. I'm guessing Neil big boar average 220 to 250 with exceptions and these are the big ones. Neil definitely is a first class wild boar hunt for boar/ hybrids and bhcr will never be able to match that. But if you want to take the kids and go out on a easier hunt and punk pigs over feeders from either close or long range and be home early then bhcr is for you. Heck I've done the math . I can get more meat cheaper by going to bhcr over buying from the fair. I'll always buy from the kids cause its all about them but financially it's not the best. If you want to have some fun go chase goats with bows up there and trophy hunt it. Try and kill a sci quality farel. The regular Billy and nanny breeds are cake walk but the ram ewe breeds are fast tough and agile.

Matagi said:
It's going to take more then a few trips to get a glimps of our local hogs. Fortunately, I got lucky with my two pig dogs that have been able to sniff out a few from our local mountains. Just remember the sweat glands on pigs don't regulate body temperature really well so they have to have water to cool them selves. No water usually means no hogs. Especially with this drought, they are concentrating near the large bodies of water where most is on county, state, or private land. Once we get some wet weather and the streams start flowing, you'll have a better chance in finding them.

Hey Matagi if you dont mind me asking what kind of dogs do you run?

I run a Rae breed of dogs from Japan called the kishu inu. Similar to the shiba and Akita. They were bred specifically to hunt wild boar.

Matagi said:
I run a Rae breed of dogs from Japan called the kishu inu. Similar to the shiba and Akita. They were bred specifically to hunt wild boar.

Wow that is really interesting, they don't overheat at all? Thats really cool, i have some friends with good hog dogs and I have a pup coming hopefully if breeding takes from their stock. Problem is there is not too many places to run your dogs out here.

Do you cast hunt them? How far out do they range for you?

Michael951 said:
Matagi said:

Wow that is really interesting, they don't overheat at all? Thats really cool, i have some friends with good hog dogs and I have a pup coming hopefully if breeding takes from their stock. Problem is there is not too many places to run your dogs out here.

They tend to shed heat pretty well. I used to run hounds and had a cur once but the level of drive and stamina with the Kishu is pretty impressive. If you look at the jungle like terrain with really steep mountains that these dogs are used to hunting, they do really well out here. The only down side to them is the ears. Since they have erect ears, I try and not hunt them too much when there's a ton of foxtails and budding seeds in late summer/early fall. They are mid range dogs so the longest one of my dogs ranged out was about 1/2 mile or so? I usually hunt them the way they're hunted in Japan by hunting with them utilizing the wind and fresh ground scent. They can pick up cold tracks but they are more of a hot nosed dog.

Here's vid on the Sir of one of my dogs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6d3I3m5QnU&list=UUcJ1Hc8lkVNrMbeBwUpBslQ&feature=sharenoembed&index=4

Unfortunately when they get this brave, they end up getting cut up so my older male dog always wears a cut vest and collar because he thinks he's invisible against a hog. I hunt them by basically walking out with them and my dogs usually make giant circles around me trying to pick up scent or beds

Matagi said:
Michael951 said:
Matagi said:

They tend to shed heat pretty well. I used to run hounds and had a cur once but the level of drive and stamina with the Kishu is pretty impressive. If you look at the jungle like terrain with really steep mountains that these dogs are used to hunting, they do really well out here. The only down side to them is the ears. Since they have erect ears, I try and not hunt them too much when there's a ton of foxtails and budding seeds in late summer/early fall. They are mid range dogs so the longest one of my dogs ranged out was about 1/2 mile or so? I usually hunt them the way they're hunted in Japan by hunting with them utilizing the wind and fresh ground scent. They can pick up cold tracks but they are more of a hot nosed dog.

Here's vid on the Sir of one of my dogs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6d3I3m5QnU&list=UUcJ1Hc8lkVNrMbeBwUpBslQ&feature=sharenoembed&index=4

Unfortunately when they get this brave, they end up getting cut up so my older male dog always wears a cut vest and collar because he thinks he's invisible against a hog. I hunt them by basically walking out with them and my dogs usually make giant circles around me trying to pick up scent or beds

Nice dog, I like him. That was going to be my next question is he loose or gritty, but obviously he will catch. I have bulldogs, and i am about to buy a new young dog who I would love to try and use as a catch dog. He's big for an apbt and he is not dog aggressive from what I was told. That is a big hog! Is that out here?

That dog in the video is in Japan. In Japan there's a old saying among hunters, "one dog, one gun". Basically many of the old hunters relied on one good dog and one good gun to feed their families and the kishu is well know and famous for this style of hunting. A litter mate to my male owned by my friend in Japan is now 12 hogs for 8 outings this season and he only hunts with one dog. I really didn't have to do a lot of training with my dogs, just a few months of bay pen training and spending a lot of time in the woods.

Thats really awesome, that is what I want as well a dog that can do it by himself. Sounds like they make for some good hog dogs.How big are your dogs, what about 60 lbs?

My male is on the larger size at about 50lb and my female is about 42lbs. I also have another female that's leaving for the east coats soon and she's really small at about 33lbs.

infidel said:
Sdbirds said:
Did u get one. I'm getting close as well

No blood today. Just some reassurance that I'm making the right moves just a little late is all.

Well, if it turns out to be Bigfoot, let us know, Okay?
;D

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu