Poorly managed socal forests

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
Hey I'm writing a paper for college and chose the topic of poorly managed forests (in SoCal especially.)

Any ideas on possible solutions?

Just trying to get different perspectives from other hunters and outdoorsman and your experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough subject IMO......Don't know how much more they can do for the forests......Prescribed burns & cuts are still being done down here in the Cleveland......The fact we went into a prolonged drought, pine beetles, and the fact that gold spotted oak borer's were introduced into the county is not their fault.

Access wise, I know they've closed more of the old roads, and that's an issue with many. But that has really nothing to do with the management of the health of the forest.

Again, IMO, we have pretty good access to most of the Cleveland. Well, marked for the most part as well.

ps......Now management of our wildlife by DFW is a totally different subject.....Ugh!

Change your paper to wildlife management and you would have too much info and ideas then you would know what to do with

I should have been more specific, wildlife is implied also. Anything to do with forest issues and wildlife issues, such as poaching.

SoCalHunter27 said:
I should have been more specific, wildlife is implied also. Anything to do with forest issues and wildlife issues, such as poaching.

Maybe include how the dfg is spread too thin to effectively manage the poaching problem.

You could look at where the money comes from for wildlife management, and how it is spent. Compare license and tag fees (user fees) to other revenue sources to give perspective on the economics of conservation. There is not good appreciation at the CA state level of how to invest user fees or hunters' efforts to enhance wildlife management. The contrast with neighboring states like AZ and NV is pretty stark.

Anybody have solution suggestions to any of these issues?

When it comes to Mountain lions the CA DFG is now killing well over 100 a year. You could talk about the cost of this verses opening mountain lion hunting back up to hunters with a state wide tag system similar to bear with a quota. Also what benefits would there be to be able to have the DFG focus on poachers instead of out killing lions. By the way be prepared to take a ton of slack if you pursue this topic. Honestly with out the use of Dogs I don't know if opening lions back up to hunters would even help. 90% of lions are killed with the help of dogs.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu