Positive thoughts on long range hunting

Yes this seems to be a hot topic.
I am nuetral in the opinion.
But this brings a thought.
How far has a target shooter been able to electronic range with a laser.
Of an unknown distance.
I guess the point of the Author was
If a person can make a shot 9 out 10 times at a target. A person is good to go. My thoughts is 10 out of 10.
In the past I could hit easily 300 yards with cheap equipment.
I am not a medium, to long range hunter, and I don't to pretend to be.
But as amateur gun enthusiasm.
I would some day like to test my ability to shoot medium to long distance. For sure I wood need a young guy with very strong experience to coach me.

Would I apply it to hunting maybe or maybe not. It depends on how well
I can keep a rifle study and not jerk the trigger. Am I a sniper. LOL
Only up 300 yards.
In my limited time and only able to practice at a range 300 yards max.
Being that said never really got to test my ability at long range.

So what I got out this article was
Only you can ethically decide at what distance you can shoot.
If you can nail a target 9 out of 10.
My thoughts is 10 out of 10.
Best to all
Longbow

Mostly the problem I see is the shooter’s inability to be honest with themselves about how far a shot they should take.
X3... Absolutely correct in that if you’re surprised you made the hit, ya never shoulda taken the shot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Ok I would like some of you medium to long range hunters to chime in about pro and cons. All so what hot tips you have to suggest.
Now that would be awesome if
We could get more input, yes?
Failures and successful hunts.
Just as a little chit chat going in between Hunting. And your busy lives.
Best to all
Longbow

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Mostly the problem I see is the shooter’s inability to be honest with themselves about how far a shot they should take.
X3... Absolutely correct in that if you’re surprised you made the hit, ya never shoulda taken the shot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Frank
Great response. It's more of stating the facts on pro's and cons.
I know there has been some here
Are very good at long range Hunting.
They have it down.
I believe as the most feel, one has to be well proficient at taking shots at those long distance.
I just discussing it to bring out the facts. As I stated before I am neutral.
Best
Longbow

Everything depends on the elements.

Long range is nothing to be scared of. You have to practice and know your rifle and how it shoots. With today’s ballistics 4-600 yards is far but completely do able, once again it al depends on the elements, wind, angle all the way down to how comfortable you can get prior to the shot. Do I recommend someone taking a 500 yard shot at big game that hasn’t practiced and felt confident in ones ability’s , no...

Some guys also think 40 yards is a long shot with a bow, I personally would think twice at 60 yards broadside wind in my face animal has no idea I’m there, but like I wrote earlier it all depends on elements of the hunt.

Everything depends on the elements.

Long range is nothing to be scared of. You have to practice and know your rifle and how it shoots. With today’s ballistics 4-600 yards is far but completely do able, once again it al depends on the elements, wind, angle all the way down to how comfortable you can get prior to the shot. Do I recommend someone taking a 500 yard shot at big game that hasn’t practiced and felt confident in ones ability’s , no...

Some guys also think 40 yards is a long shot with a bow, I personally would think twice at 60 yards broadside wind in my face animal has no idea I’m there, but like I wrote earlier it all depends on elements of the hunt.
Nice write up StikBrandon.
Best
Longbow

I shoot tournaments at MOA out to 300+ prone with bi-pod, rear bag and wind flags.

I practice medium range hunting by shooting ground squirrels with support sticks, either sitting or kneeling.

When I get the chance, I've taken every coyote out to 250 but missed at 270 and 300.

I would only try to take a deer out to 250 if I felt solid.

This is a subject that if you ask 10 people you’ll get 10 different answers. Everybody has their own perspective on this.

If you spend the money on the right equipment and spent enough time practicing at whatever yardage you won’t be surprised. There are a lot of rifle hunters out there that didn’t practice at all. Go out opening morning and miss at 75 yards because they didn’t take the time to learn or setup their equipment. Yet are surprised.

It’s important for all of us to take the time to learn our equipment and set it up correctly. Then practice at a range that we are comfortable with. So that we know when the trigger is pulled it’s going to count and make an ethical kill. For some it’s 100 yards for others it’s 1,000.
The guy that picked up his gun at Big 5 the day before the opener shouldn’t be out there at all.

I shoot tournaments at MOA out to 300+ prone with bi-pod, rear bag and wind flags.

I practice medium range hunting by shooting ground squirrels with support sticks, either sitting or kneeling.

When I get the chance, I've taken every coyote out to 250 but missed at 270 and 300.

I would only try to take a deer out to 250 if I felt solid.
Thanks Rbduffer, well done write up.
MOA at 300 yds is impressive.
Thank you
Longbow

This is a subject that if you ask 10 people you’ll get 10 different answers. Everybody has their own perspective on this.

If you spend the money on the right equipment and spent enough time practicing at whatever yardage you won’t be surprised. There are a lot of rifle hunters out there that didn’t practice at all. Go out opening morning and miss at 75 yards because they didn’t take the time to learn or setup their equipment. Yet are surprised.

It’s important for all of us to take the time to learn our equipment and set it up correctly. Then practice at a range that we are comfortable with. So that we know when the trigger is pulled it’s going to count and make an ethical kill. For some it’s 100 yards for others it’s 1,000.
The guy that picked up his gun at Big 5 the day before the opener shouldn’t be out there at all.
Well said Lungpopper.
Thank you for the input.

At the lemon Grove gun range. There was an NRA sponsored. Gun practice and training event.
I went for the training.never hurts right free practice. The deal was it was all rimfire 22lr ammo. All rim fire and shot gun shoot.
I kind of impressed the range instructor.
I was practicing with a checkslovia bolt action rifle. I don't remember the maximum distance. But once after couple shots I got the elevation fiquired out. I was nailing the steel targets with open sights.
Go figure.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Hi all
the basis of my post is to get some of you experience target/hunters
To give feed back good or bad.
It means very much to get input for
All the newbies who are starting out.
Good or indifferent.
The object is to pass on information
To improve our sport.
When I started out it was a different
World. I can not imagine the difficulty Trying to start in our hunting and target sport.
If one is serious. Getting training at the range is invaluable.
And us getting them started in the right path. Is a plus.
Call me loco.
But this is Longbow as a person
Helping out as much as I can.
One of the advantage of having
Property I can Target practice
As I see fit. Since I am in shooting area with good neighbors.
And practice safety.
Best to all
Longbow

shoot with the bow 60 yds or more is pratice , shoot with the rifle is practice too , just need a good scope , and more practice , is for that reason that Im now into bowhunting , I easy can make 600 yds shoot I practice with friends 475-550-600 and 1150 yds is all about practice, I use for that a remington sps tactical with huber 2 satage trigger and a nightforce scope , my best was from 20 shoots I hit 14 in the 1150 yds range with a 308 win.

The problem is when you can do it , and you can shoot a deer at 500 yds or more , deer dont know where is comming the shoot so when you kill 1 or 2 deer like that is not fan .
I feel more adrenaline and heart bump when I have a buck at 30 or 40 yds than at 500 yds.
And is more challenge too.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu