Positive thoughts on long range hunting

There are a lot of rifle hunters out there that didn’t practice at all. Go out opening morning and miss at 75 yards because they didn’t take the time to learn or setup their equipment. Yet are surprised.

It’s important for all of us to take the time to learn our equipment and set it up correctly. Then practice at a range that we are comfortable with.
The guy that picked up his gun at Big 5 the day before the opener shouldn’t be out there at all.

What he said....

My buddy goes out w this guy who insists on sighting his scope the day we arrive; by that I mean he is actually zeroing and shooting his rifle for the first time during the season on day one.

I refuse to go out with that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said....

My buddy goes out w this guy who insists on sighting his scope the day we arrive; by that I mean he is actually zeroing and shooting his rifle for the first time during the season on day one.

I refuse to go out with that guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree with these statements.
As rule of thumb I practice at
At the gun range .
The ranges varied but my favorite in East county was at Dulzura.
It was up to 300 yards. At that time I
Used 308. What was nice at those days BLM was at any length. Through out the year.
Part of being a responsible hunter.
Best
Longbow

Reactions: Dawnandusk
I have a lot of experience in target shooting, and some ( minimum to nothing) experience shooting long range while hunting, but this is what I think:
When I am target shooting at 300 yards I can keep my groups unther 1 MOA with my .308,, but I also can wait for the perfect conditions before I squize the trigger, I can only imagine that the day I get my first shot to a deer I will be rushed and I will miscalculate wind speed, I can range the animal with my range finder but there will be other factors that will interfiere with the trajectory of my projectile. For that reason I have decided to avoid shooting an animal beyond 200 yd.
Also when we are target practicing we set everything to feel comfortable, I know that that will not be the case in the field.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I have a lot of experience in target shooting, and some ( minimum to nothing) experience shooting long range while hunting, but this is what I think:
When I am target shooting at 300 yards I can keep my groups unther 1 MOA with my .308,, but I also can wait for the perfect conditions before I squize the trigger, I can only imagine that the day I get my first shot to a deer I will be rushed and I will miscalculate wind speed, I can range the animal with my range finder but there will be other factors that will interfiere with the trajectory of my projectile. For that reason I have decided to avoid shooting an animal beyond 200 yd.
Also when we are target practicing we set everything to feel comfortable, I know that that will not be the case in the field.
Excellent shooting Fabian.

I practice medium range hunting by shooting ground squirrels with support sticks, either sitting or kneeling.

OMG YES!!! This is sooo much fun with the .17 HMR!!! So far only out to near 100yd. But it's soo freakin' cool to hit tiny targets like that repeatably!

Just curious, in this scenario you describe, "medium range" refers to distances in what yardage range?

I'm asking so that I'll know when I'm ready for the big game at those longer distances. Quite frankly I'm ready for that paradigm to longer shots shift because sitting on ambush spots for hours and hours on end really takes it's toll sometimes on lower back.

My favorite past time is shooting sqeekers with my 22lr with my tripod.
I really noticed a big improvement in my accuracy. Shooting small Target's does help. And loads of fun.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu